• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Like we didn't already know!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like we didn't already know!!

'More men win academic prizes' says study

'MEN BRAINIER THAN WOMEN'

A new claim that men are more intelligent than women is poised to reignite controversy about the difference between the sexes.

Research to be published later this year argues that men's IQs are on average five points higher than those of women.

The scientists who conducted the study say this is why men are more likely to win Nobel prizes and gain other major academic distinctions.

One of them is Richard Lynn, Emeritus Professor of Psychology at the University of Ulster, whose work on intelligence has already proved highly controversial.

Not only has he maintained that men have higher IQs than women, but also that whites are more intelligent than blacks and eastern Asians brighter than Europeans.

The new work, to appear in the British Journal of Psychology on November 4, was conducted with Dr Paul Irwing, Senior Lecturer in Organisational Psychology at the University of Manchester.

Dr Irwing said he and Prof Lynn had found strong evidence that men not only had larger brains than women but higher IQs by about five points.

The paper will argue that the IQ difference between men and women cannot be easily dismissed as insignificant.

Looked at from a population perspective, it meant there were three men to each woman with an IQ above 130, and 5.5 men for each woman with an IQ above 145.

Dr Irwing said: "These different proportions of men and women with high IQ scores are clearly worth speaking of and may go some way to explaining the greater numbers of men achieving distinctions of various kinds for which a high IQ is required, such as chess grandmasters, fields medallists for mathematics, Nobel prizewinners and the like."

The researchers acknowledge that women now outnumber men at every level of educational achievement, with the sole exception of Phd level.

The study says there is evidence that at the same IQ level women are able to achieve more than men "possibly because they are more conscientious and better adapted to sustained periods of hard work".

A 1999 study by Prof Lynn found that men's IQs were three to four points higher than women's.

============================================

Hardly news, but worth highlighting in these times I feel!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

I didn't understand the article so got a black woman I work with to explain it to me.

Comment

Ah, but I don't women (well, most anyway) would dispute the fact that on average men are more suited to the brain activities required for science, spatial reasoning, maybe even philosophy and so on.

But (OK, I know you will dispute this), on average again, women seem to have more intelligence when it comes to emotional issues, intuition, multitasking, things like that.

I think (may be wrong here) that it has been shown that women brains are more developed on one side than men's, and vice versa, i.e. men's brains right side is more developed than women, women's left more developed than men. Or something. I don't know. Out of my depth here. Trying to win a rational, scientific point? Must be mad. I'll be off then.
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

..yes that is true, women are much better at changing nappies, cleaning, pushing prams around and causing a fuss at a restaurant whereas men are much better at Engineering, physics and architecture etc.

horses for courses really.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

a womans place
          is in the wrong

Comment

Yeah we know shaun -- your wife must have been pretty stupid to marry you

5 children -- did you get her drunk blind or something?

Comment

None of them have been stupid enough to even get involved with you alexei (if we discount inflatable ones and those whose surname is jpeg!!), so that must be seen as progress on their part I suppose.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Aww just like old times, brings a tear to the eye.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
                  But (OK, I know you will dispute this), on average again, women seem to have more intelligence when it comes to emotional issues,
                  :
                  I have to agree with that ! - My wife can burst into tears for no reason !
                  Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

could be tears of joy, tears aren't necessarily sad!
                    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X