• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stamp duty suspended (but with a snag)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to Hazel Blears on the radio this morning I had to fight the urge to stab her in the face. Once I overcome that inner turmoil, I listened to her saying the money was due to be spent in a few years time but they decided to spend it now.

Clearly, they know they won't be around to spend it after 2010 so they may as well get rid of it now...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
      Listening to Hazel Blears on the radio this morning I had to fight the urge to stab her in the face. Once I overcome that inner turmoil, I listened to her saying the money was due to be spent in a few years time but they decided to spend it now.
      On the telly this morning, she was asked twice about whether there'd be a stamp duty change but refused to answer saying it was a matter for the Chancellor. Weird.

What annoys me the most in all this is the way they justify it by saying it helps first time buyers. It doesn't help first time buyers; it helps the sellers. The best way to help first time buyers is to ensure a crash.

Clearly, they know they won't be around to spend it after 2010 so they may as well get rid of it now...
      I'm convinced they're now trying to scupper the country to make life worse for the conservatives.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

She really is a despicable piece of dirt, isn't she?

What made me chortle later was Normo Lamont the useless chancellor who refused to resign after ruining the economy being interviewed about government's scheme saying "that was wank all use when we tried it" - in other words "I was tulipe - but they are tulip" which kind of sums it all up really.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          On the telly this morning, she was asked twice about whether there'd be a stamp duty change but refused to answer saying it was a matter for the Chancellor. Weird.

What annoys me the most in all this is the way they justify it by saying it helps first time buyers. It doesn't help first time buyers; it helps the sellers. The best way to help first time buyers is to ensure a crash.

I'm convinced they're now trying to scupper the country to make life worse for the conservatives.

Ensuring a crash would have side effects such as high unemployment which surely will not help first time buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

What made me chortle later was Normo Lamont the useless chancellor who refused to resign after ruining the economy being interviewed about government's scheme saying "that was wink all use when we tried it" - in other words "I was tulipe - but they are tulip" which kind of sums it all up really.

The economy in 1992 had already been through a major recession. The ERM was a mistake but hardly made things that much worse. He lost us 7 Billion pounds, but Brown has lost us multiples of that over the past 10 years, through selling our gold, the Iraq war, NHS waste, tax credit waste etc etc etc.

Comment

The situation is so difficult that I think not even a brilliant person could solve it easily - Brown and Darling however look like headless chickens - like £175k threshold for stamp duty (just for a year - does it start right now of from 1 Jan 2009?) matter a bit - even if they abolished stamp duty completely it won't solve the problem - no cheap endless pot of money available to lend people to buy houses at current prices, so the prices will have to fall to levels 40-50% off peak - either via inflation or direct price, most likely both. Pound is dropping now like a stone so inflation in the UK won't decrease as much as otherwise - I actually think we will see almost parity with the euro in 2009 and back to $1.6 for a quid.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                Hazel Blears makes Tony Bliar look like an honest and trustworthy person.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  The economy in 1992 had already been through a major recession. The ERM was a mistake but hardly made things that much worse. He lost us 7 Billion pounds, but Brown has lost us multiples of that over the past 10 years, through selling our gold, the Iraq war, NHS waste, tax credit waste etc etc etc.
                  In 1 day
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    In 1 day
                    The value of UK house market was like £1 trln at least, so 10% drop in that value is £100 bln. If value drops (like it should now) by 50% in total that would be loss of £500 bln.

Comment

I detect a common theme running through this and many other threads on this board.
                      Good news: free buns for the poor.
                      Bad news: I'm not poor. WHAT ABOUT ME! I WANT FREE BUNS!!!

How come none of you ever focus on the "I'm not poor" bit, and thank your lucky stars?

Comment

Working...
                      X