• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    In fact, I'm not positing anything. I'm rather arguing that some of the atheistic arguments, specifically those of Dawkins, don't hold water. As I said, I find him embarrassing - as do not a few other atheists. Rather like many Christians find Benny Hinn (white suit, sculptured hair) embarrassing, because they feel he brings their faith into disrepute.

Anyway, Dawkins argues that Christianity use the design argument to show that evolution is wrong. And then tries to demolish the argument (using the aforesaid circular reasoning) The design argument was first put forward in response to Darwinisn in the 1800s. But even then, many theologians argued against it as very weak (which it is). Few scholars take it seriously nowadays, and before Darwin, it wasn't even considered.

I get sick of people, regardless of their outlook on life, using weak, intellectually dishonest reasoning. Dawkins should know better, but he seems to be blinded by his hatred about what he thinks Christians believe.
    But isn't Dawkins really complaining about American (particularly) creationists trying to bring in "Intelligent Design" as a scientific theory equivalent to evolution in schools. It isn't because mainly it's not falsifiable.
    I loved it when he took the mainly Muslim schoolcildren to the the coast to show them fossils that blankly contradicted their view of the world.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Rather like Dawkins. God doesn't exists, so all the apparent evidence of design isn't evidence, so God doesn't exist.
      notice the inconsistency in the reasoning of dawkins and his followers

they will say:
      the universe and earth appears old, therefore it is

but then again
      life appears designed... therefore it is? no, they deny it is designed

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post

they will say:

but then again
        Erm....Dawkins espouses evolution - scientific explanation for reaching the point we have, instead of saying "its so complicated something must have designed it" - all the apparent evidence of design is explainable through science - using rational thought.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

they will say:

but then again
          as SG says.

You claim a designer exists. Prove it. That is your duty. When I see convincing proof I will believe it.

I think the universe and earth more than "appears" old. Some things can be measured and calculated. And to me life does not appear to be designed.

If you think life is designed. Prove it.
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

they will say:

but then again
            The universe is old and has evolved. Not that hard is it?

PS I think it's very revealing that you use "Dawkins and his followers". That is indicative of most believers - they can't think for themselves and always need someone to follow. Unlike most Christians, atheists don't follow anyone.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
              please show us all the repeatable objective evidence for the existence of the supernatural, all-powerful being you call God.
              I'm not claiming God is a natural process within the creation. I'm claiming he is the creator of the creation, and all its matter, laws, natural processes

Comment

I'm not claiming God is a natural process within the creation. I'm claiming he is the creator of the creation, and all its matter, laws, natural processes
                Good "interpretation". So how did he himself come into being then?
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What is this God? What form does "it" take? Who created God?
                  If you think the world needs a creator for explanation, surely something as amazing as the creator must need to have been created by an uber-creator and so on ad infinitum?

Your explanation raises more questions than it answers, and hence explains nothing.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                    as SG says.

You claim a designer exists. Prove it. That is your duty. When I see convincing proof I will believe it.

I think the universe and earth more than "appears" old. Some things can be measured and calculated. And to me life does not appear to be designed.

If you think life is designed. Prove it.
                    what evidence would you accept?

Comment

so lets be honest - if he did create all this stuff - hes done a pretty bad job of it - wars, famines, really bad tulip going on in the world throughout most of known history....

but hey come the oscars we can thank him for those "lucky" ones.......

Comment

Working...
                      X