• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG.org.uk - Worth the money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    I held back from joining PCG as I wasn't quite convinced that it was right for me. I have now joined (today) based on this thread (and other threads that recently mentioned PCG).

I think it is about the right time to join and hope I won't be disappointed with their services.
    Well, TBH I let my membership lapse ultimately because I didn't see any services that I was getting, except for the jury service insurance. But if you have a use for the other stuff that they offer then YMMV.

I may of course have missed services that I was in fact getting, but it's not always easy to tell. For example, on the PCG website
    Find your ideal membership - click on the link that best describes you:

I run a limited company with a PAYE payroll
    One of the benefits listed is "PAYE Audit Cover". But the details say:

PAYE Audit Cover is designed for any business that runs a payroll, including partnerships and sole traders that have employees. The scheme guarantees expert advice and support throughout the whole process of an IR35 investigation and uniquely includes expert professional support during the PAYE compliance visit itself.
    which leaves me wondering where it switched from PAYE (which applies to me) to IR35 (which does not).
    Last edited by expat; 1 September 2008, 13:22.

Comment

If you are contracting as a UK Ltd in the UK or under UK tax law then you should join and probably at the higher level at that.
      It is not worth joining for anyone else as you pay the same but get none of the benefits (except advice and forums).
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
        If you are contracting as a UK Ltd in the UK or under UK tax law then you should join and probably at the higher level at that.
        It is not worth joining for anyone else as you pay the same but get none of the benefits (except advice and forums).
        That's more or less my feeling, with the added note that if you're not bothered by IR35, a lot of the content becomes less relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Well, TBH I let my membership lapse ultimately because I didn't see any services that I was getting, except for the jury service insurance. But if you have a use for the other stuff that they offer then YMMV.

I may of course have missed services that I was in fact getting, but it's not always easy to tell. For example, on the PCG website
          One of the benefits listed is "PAYE Audit Cover". But the details say:

which leaves me wondering where it switched from PAYE (which applies to me) to IR35 (which does not).
          The point is that the standard cover gives you professional representation inthe event of an IR35 investigation. PAYE cover gives you the smae thing for any investigation realted to PAYE. So bascially, you probably won't get as far as an IR35 trawl in the first place. Bit of a no brainer, if you ask me.

Other key PCGPlus bonuses are the Jury Service cover and the coverage agasint your agent going bust (not huge amounts, but a worthwhile buffer while you get things sorted out). On top of that the total package of discounts - which cover things like credit checking, finacnes, insurances, BUPA (genuine 25% discount for all members) and so on - can save your membership fee several times over (I got a quarter of mine back just in BUPA - but then I am very old and frail...).

But it's not ultiamtely a financial thing, is it? It's about boosting the voice the PCG has with HMG and the business world: we've got around 10% of the contractor community signed up right now, it would be nice to get 25%...

As for the website - yep, it's Tulips from Amsterdam time. But it is being redesigned so it actually tells you things!
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            As for the website - yep, it's Tulips from Amsterdam time. But it is being redesigned so it actually tells you things!
            Thanks for the concise list. Not easy to find out from the site, if not a member. It has been in redesign for several years, IIRC?

As you say, it is not only financial. I may have to join again.

Comment

Working...
            X