• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Russia cutting off oil?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
    Theres 46 million in the ukraine just bursting to swell the ranks of mother russia....
    Ukraine wants to be part of EU/NATO. That'll make EU population 500m

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
      I think the mash sums it up well...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/i...-200808291211/

WE'RE A GIGANTIC COUNTRY FILLED WITH OIL, GAS AND WHEAT, RUSSIA REMINDS EU
      RUSSIA brushed aside the threat of EU sanctions last night, stressing it is a vast country, filled to bursting with absolutely everything it needs.

Moscow is braced for a Bovril shortageAs foreign secretary David Miliband told Russia its continued support for South Ossetian independence was incredibly rude, the Russians continued with their purchase of another 700 square miles of Surrey.

Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin said: "Sanction what? Maybe you cut off supplies of Colman's mustard and H and P sauce, yes?

"Or maybe you cut off supply of gas and oil. Oh wait, we have more gas and oil than all you put together. In fact I am having more gas in lower intestine than in all of North Sea. You want my gas?

"Maybe we cut off your gas and no turn back on until you sing Bryan Adams song and give foot massage."

He added: "Also I have wheat farm size of France so am being unlikely to starve. Or maybe I just take half of grain from farm and use it to bury Scotland. You know, for laugh.

"But, oh no, maybe you cut off foreign investment, yes? Maybe you no buy our football teams, our mansions and our vast, highland shooting estates?

"Anyway, who care? We go do business with Arab and Chinese who not give gold-plated, sweet and sour tulip."

That was ******* brilliant. I even read it in a dodgy putin accent.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

I heard from my friend in Kutaisi in Georgia that Russia did blow up the BP oil pipeline from Kazakhstan and oil is being transported now by lorries.

We must end our dependency on anything Russian. They have a history of using resources as a weapon, as they did with the Ukraine a couple of years ago.

Does anybody still really believe that Russia was not the instigator of this situation for its own political motives ? They are now even accusing America of starting this. The Russians are worryingly unstable and sanctions are definitely the way to go IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          I heard from my friend in Kutaisi in Georgia that Russia did blow up the BP oil pipeline from Kazakhstan and oil is being transported now by lorries.

We must end our dependency on anything Russian. They have a history of using resources as a weapon, as they did with the Ukraine a couple of years ago.

Does anybody still really believe that Russia was not the instigator of this situation for its own political motives ? They are now even accusing America of starting this. The Russians are worryingly unstable and sanctions are definitely the way to go IMO.
          I'm fighting back by not buying a Lada and never watching Chelsea play again.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

HTH

I'd love to see all Russians expelled from the UK, otherwise I only see Chelsea winning the league this season.

Comment

I'm fighting back by not buying a TVR and never watching Chelsea play again.

HTH
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Friends of Putin own Swiss based oil reseller Guvnor which from zero suddenly got to turnover of 40 bln per year: http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt...80443520071031

Arrest them and start locking up rich Putin friends that bought property all over UK (and Europe) - starting with Abramovich. Once they are in jail for money laundering they will sing like canaries.

Comment

The great thing about the spread of capitalism and democracy (lets hear a thank you to Britain and the USA) and all the rules that go with it is that countries begin to become economically interdependent upon each other. Russia is very dependent upon trade and foreign investment, and it will do itself no good if it prolongs a campaign of aggression against the West.

it seems to me that the Russians want to assert themselves against the on rush of NATO but I cannot see them going so far as to spite their noses off to spite their faces by committing to all out war.

Russia will go so far. Hopefully the Ukraine issue will not emerge and Russia will settle for gaining enough political brownie points from Georgia; Nato may even already have surrendered the Georgians as part of a longer term plan. The Black sea exit/entrance is controlled by Turkey anyway so the Russian fleet there does not have free access to the Med, so maybe Sevastapol is not important enough to enter into another war over.

If however the Russians are not satisfied by their success in Georgia it is highly likely that either a trade war with the west will erupt or that they will move to annex Crimea. If they annex Crimea then it will of course become very tricky.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Russia will go after Ukraine for sure - those dictator scumbags always escalate (Hitler also sounded half reasonable in taking over territories to "protect German citizens"), Ukraine is like Austria - Putin and his mates just wait for new president there that would play on their side.

Immediate sanctions on all members of Russian Govt, "Parliament", rich mates of Putin are necessary - check all their bank accounts for money laundering, FFS, when my sister was here 2 years ago I could not open her bank account with a handful of cash - and those ****ers bring in billions and nobody is asking them questions about money laundering.

It is insane to depend on dictators for essential stuff - if they were selling banans then it would not be so bad, but to have energy dependance knowing that the money you pay will go to arm the regime is crazy.

Comment

HTH
                      I thought you cant afford anything beyond Trabant.

Comment

Working...
                      X