• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle Laners

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Even if you sit right on their bumper, flash your lights, beep your horn and go red in the face with your eyes popping out, you can't make the person in front move out of your way.
    Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    Disagree.
    How do you do it then? I'm sure a lot of people would like to know.

I take it that there's nothing remotely illegal involved in your methods, what with your lectures on the correct way to drive on a motorway.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      I always stay in lane 2 when I'm towing my caravan. I'm usually travelling faster than the HGV's in lane 1, and it's a pain pulling in and out when towing a 20ft caravan

Kill him!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Xeno, you're wrong on this one buddy.
        Strange how the highways agency, the police, the AA, the RAC and most other motoring groups all agree the middle lane hogging is a problem, makes the roads more congested than they should be, increase the risk of driving* and cause road rage.

*most MLH's also drive too close, although not as bad as on lane 3
        Last edited by Spacecadet; 18 August 2008, 11:34.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

The solution is to drive only in lane 3 at max speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            I always stay in lane 2 when I'm towing my caravan. I'm usually travelling faster than the HGV's in lane 1, and it's a pain pulling in and out when towing a 20ft caravan
            Good point. Also if the road consistently bends to the right you should actually be in the right-hand lane as this will save you money in petrol due to actually travelling less distance - I hope government policy makers are taking note of this carbon saving measure.
            Bored.

Comment

2. So, you're in the left most lane and you're approaching an entry slip-road. You can't see that there's any traffic coming down the sliproad from your present angle. What do you do and why?
              I engage my mark 1 eyeball and check the slip road as I'm passing it and I also employ the reflective things that allow me to see behind me.
              Since I have a driving license I guage if any vehicles joining will interfere with my direct path, if none I will stay in Lane 1, if not then I will pull to Lane 2 so that I overtake the vehicle entering the motorway then move to Lane 1 when a safe distance is achieved.

Awareness and observation is preferable to sitting mindlessly in Lane2.

One plus of obeying lane discipline is that it reduces the risk of same road boredom and drifting concentration, the manoevers (including using that funny stick that makes the lights flash which many drivers have no idea is even there) force you to maintain an adequate level of concentration.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Strange how the highways agency, the police, the AA, the RAC and most other motoring groups all agree the middle lane hogging is a problem, makes the roads more congested than they should be, increase the risk of driving* and cause road rage.

*most MLH's also drive too close, although not as bad as on lane 3
                Middle lane hogging might be a problem.

However, is someone who is constantly overtaking traffic in the left hand lane a middle lane hogger? I don't think so.

Comment

How do you do it then? I'm sure a lot of people would like to know.
                  Gentle encouragement.

I take it that there's nothing remotely illegal involved in your methods, what with your lectures on the correct way to drive on a motorway.
                  Not mine, mate. The Highway Code.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

However, is someone who is constantly overtaking traffic in the left hand lane a middle lane hogger? I don't think so.
                    Agreed.
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

if they're overtaking then they're not hogging the lane, they're overtaking which is what the other two lanes are there for. I don't care what speed they do in lane 2 as long as they are there to overtake 1 or however many vehicles they need to.

do you even know what this topic is talking about?
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X