• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did money start losing value to you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    Hi
    When you started to become a big-time contractor did money start losing it's value to you? I mean, did losing a £10 or spending a few quid more on something than perhaps you should... matter so much?
    With builders on site at Moorfield Towers I tend to think in units of £5k at the moment.

Comment

I think it also goes the other way - So far in debt, you can't think about Money having a value ......
      It is better to be silent and thought of a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Comment

so when you see a bottle of chapagne for £100 go and a few nice ladies around do you think to yourself "ah, just a few hours work what the hell?"

Comment

Money has never lost value to me!

But I am an avaricious tw@

money money money
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
            so when you see a bottle of chapagne for £100 go and a few nice ladies around do you think to yourself "ah, just a few hours work what the hell?"
            Nahh, never touch the cheap stuff - And that goes for the Champagne too !
            It is better to be silent and thought of a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Comment

No. I still keep going to Ebay to look for cheap illegal rail and plane tickets. Quite irrational behavior but I have Scottish ancestry so am as tight as a ducks whatsit.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                No. I still keep going to Ebay to look for cheap illegal rail and plane tickets. Quite irrational behavior but I have Scottish ancestry so am as tight as a ducks whatsit.
                And that's watertight
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

At one stage I was at the point where if I lost money through misfortune I just figured "I'll just have 1 day less off this year".. except 1 day turned into a few days and so on etc. Plus side of contracting I guess is that you can work more and earn more if needed.
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I find it concerning that the value of money seems to fall in one's eyes.
                    Because if you hit some really bad times your enhanced lifestyle will have to reverse to a more studenty lifestyle

Comment

When I first started it was all expensive skiing holidays and nice cars but a few months on the bench makes you realise how frivolous spending is just plain wasteful.

These days I'd much rather concentrate on paying the mortgage off early, being completely debt free is far more appealing than a swanky sports car.

Feck the Jones's... I want freedom from the neo consumer money trap.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X