• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kids ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    What happens at 7 or 8? Is it pocket money withholding? Or do I seek from EO?

well I did my stint, four of them, so I am not totally unsympathetic. But now they are all growed up I can sit back and watch you youngsters go through it all and hurl some good natured abuse.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by bobsmithldn View Post
      Oops, just read Snaw's post ... get a grip bobsmithldn ...

How do I delete this post?
      Don't be silly.Not gonna worry me - I got the same issue with a 2 year old daughter - we just keep persisting with telling her she can't do that and get her to go and sit down for a minute or two then come back and say sorry - seems to be slowly working but from what I read they'll grow out of it eventually.

Don't overreact to it as well seems to be common advice. they play up if they get a reaction.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

What happens at 7 or 8? Is it pocket money withholding? Or do I seek from EO?
        Yep, stuff like that. By that age they can understand actions have consequences at a more intellectual level rather than just by association. EO's optiom is probably a litle extreem for a first offense though
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

IMO kids always push to the limit and then just a bit beyond. so best to set the limit low. you must be firm and consistent - important that both parents agree. Violence only encourages violence - so the naughty step is your best option. remember time passes slowly for kids - even 5 minutes is a long time. make it too long and you will get resentment.

at the end of the day kids do want to please you so denying them of your attention is the most effective.

The very best of luck
          Can't believe I am saying it but WHS.

Comment

Naughty corner/step/bedroom/whatever the second he does it, and leave him there on his own for two minutes. Really two minutes, not just 30 seonds or so.

Terribble two's are called terrible for a reason, he'll grow out of it eventually but you do need to be very firm in dealing with it before it becomes a habit.
            WHS

worked for my current 4 year old when she was two and is slowlay but surely working with me exceptionally wiful n michievous (but lovable!) 2 year old.

also whoever said it is dead right about not over reacting - be very stern and certianly do not make them think it is a method of getting your attention

(if they play up too much you probably need to give them more positive attention when they are not playing up)

but then to be honest it is all trail n error anyway

good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Yep, stuff like that. By that age they can understand actions have consequences at a more intellectual level rather than just by association. EO's optiom is probably a litle extreem for a first offense though

you guys just dont get it. These little people are the enemy. You have to use strategy and tactics to defeat them.
              They attack in column for maximum shock value and use 'divide and conquer' methods to help their cause. They use camoflage, decoys and psychological techniques to wear you down then attack at the weakest point in your defence. They are capable of both lightning attacks and the slow grind of attrition. You must strike first.

The duke of Wellington said that the battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of his kindergarten.

I think

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Eternal***, I like it ...

Thanks for the advice all ... most important of all I think is to try to keep a SOH and perspective ...

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  you guys just dont get it. These little people are the enemy. You have to use strategy and tactics to defeat them.
                  They attack in column for maximum shock value and use 'divide and conquer' methods to help their cause. They use camoflage, decoys and psychological techniques to wear you down then attack at the weakest point in your defence. They are capable of both lightning attacks and the slow grind of attrition. You must strike first.

The duke of Wellington said that the battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of his kindergarten.

I think

<geek>

Actually he never said that. It was partially attributed to him by a French historian writing 3 years after the duke had died. He wrote that on his return to Eton the duke declared "It is here that the battle of Waterloo was won." There is no mention of playing fields at all.

The Duke was not a particularly athetic man and his time at Eton was short, academically dissapointing and he apparently had very little liking for the place.

</geek>
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    well I did my stint, four of them, so I am not totally unsympathetic. But now they are all growed up I can sit back and watch you youngsters go through it all and hurl some good natured abuse.

So you cannot impart any pearls of wisdom?

And where is your Friday story?

Comment

No wonder the countries so screwed up, what you need to do & what it is your responsibility to do is called tough love.

At two it is impossible to rationalise with them so start out how you mean to go on -a series of escalated warnings culminating in the ultimate sanction of a slipper on the backside.

Get it right with the first one and you won't have to do it so much with the siblings, be absolutely fair with the warnings -especially the final one but be prepared to carry it through.

You will feel like tulip doing it but it will deliver disciplined children & believe me the frequency will diminish as they get older and you're able to reason with them
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X