• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broken bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I would have had another bike shop give a second opinion if I thought they were trying to pull a fast one, but all the parts you mention will need replacing eventually, and you do say it's an old bike. Carrying on with worn parts is a false economy, as it increases the wear on the replacement parts, and also makes the bike harder to ride.

If you want to get a new one, I would suggest spending more than £140 - that will get you a bike-shaped-object, rather than an actual bicycle. I'm thinking of spending somewhere in the £250 - £300 range for a basic but worthwhile hybrid.
    Yep. I sometimes hanker for a nicely built smooth running bike like you see other people riding, but my current one is also handy for throwing around off road and for leaving anywhere. Except that was the case until I started spending £50 on it. That's about its limit, any more repairs (and possibly in the meantime) and I may look for a second hand proper bike that's also good for efficiency/speed. I doubt there's much to be gained by spending above £300 on a bicycle unless you go electric.

Comment

Having made the aforementioned cycle accessories purchases - does your bike now work well ?

PS Somebody refered to the Hayes Bicycle repair book - this is well worth ordering from your local library

Comment

Richard's Bicycle Book is excellent, though sadly it appears to be out of print at the moment - the most recent edition seems to be the 2000 one.

Well worth grabbing if you see a copy somewhere

Comment

Richard's Bicycle Book is excellent, though sadly it appears to be out of print at the moment - the most recent edition seems to be the 2000 one.

Well worth grabbing if you see a copy somewhere
          Here perhaps:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Richards-21s.../dp/0330377175
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            As I said, published in 2000 and out of print - only two of the nine copies available are described as "new".

Comment

As I said, published in 2000 and out of print - only two of the nine copies available are described as "new".
              And on Amazon shops 'new' means that you can only just see the excrement stains.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                And on Amazon shops 'new' means that you can only just see the excrement stains.
                Indeed... I don't know why but I'm always vaguely distrustful of "Amazon Marketplace" sellers. Silly really, as on the few occasions I've used one the service has been excellent

Comment

Indeed... I don't know why but I'm always vaguely distrustful of "Amazon Marketplace" sellers. Silly really, as on the few occasions I've used one the service has been excellent

I use them all the time - why pay full price for a book - and have never been disappointed, although the service can be slow (max a week)
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                    Bollux
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Bollux
                      Sorry. Bollux stains.
                      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Working...
                      X