• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you prepared for next IT contractor downturn?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    That's what i did when I did a 5 month permie stint during the last downturn. It's down as a contract on my CV - because in my mind it was only temporary, no matter what the employer called it.
    What about if you need a reference from this place?

I think if you take a permie role, you need to have a promotion on it, then it makes it ok to bail after a year. otherwise, 2 years is the go.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post

I think if you take a permie role, you need to have a promotion on it, then it makes it ok to bail after a year. otherwise, 2 years is the go.
      Then you get a reference saying you worked there for 5 months, but..... contracts never need references despite the agent BS you might hear. Permie clients may ask for ref from previous employer, but this will be a HR thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        Then you get a reference saying you worked there for 5 months, but..... contracts never need references despite the agent BS you might hear. Permie clients may ask for ref from previous employer, but this will be a HR thing.
        Unless you'e going for a SC contract, in which case you'll need at least 3 years of references

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
          references? What are these references of which you speak?
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by adestor View Post
            Unless you'e going for a SC contract, in which case you'll need at least 3 years of references
            I've had security clearance after this permie stint. On my CV it says 'contract' - to the Security Clearance officer, it was just one of my previous places of work. The exeact definition or designation of contract/permie is of no interest to them.
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
              ...contracts never need references despite the agent BS you might hear.
              .... unless of course you're going to work in finance, in which case they definitely DO want your references. Worst of all, they actually CHECK them

Comment

If you are feeling the pinch in the down turn why not come and join us on the mainland. Rates are pretty good and the exchange rate makes them better. You cna usualy weekly commute as easily as you can to anywhere in the UK and lifestyles are so so much better.
                As you are earning in Euros the beers dont seem so expensive as they do on holiday.

Come on, you know it makes sense.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

do you need to be able to speak German?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    If you are feeling the pinch in the down turn why not come and join us on the mainland. Rates are pretty good and the exchange rate makes them better. You cna usualy weekly commute as easily as you can to anywhere in the UK and lifestyles are so so much better.
                    As you are earning in Euros the beers dont seem so expensive as they do on holiday.

Come on, you know it makes sense.
                    So do you make more or less doing the same work in the UK and main EU ( Germany etc ) and considering taxation ?

Comment

I have been working on the mainland for most of the last 10 years.
                      My industry is normaly English speaking so no probs there. I do speak a little German now. 2 years in Belgium but no Flemish or french.
                      After I have sorted my travel, lodging and tax I am taking more home than if I had taken the best rate I have been offered for a daily travel job and substantialy more than if I had taken a weekly commute to the South of England.
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X