• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you prepared for next IT contractor downturn?"

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    LG,

it's not worth getting into this

We have nothing to prove

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    Don't forget tax: The mainland is much more highly taxed than the UK :-)
    With good tax advice and the higher rates you still come away with more.
    As I have said many times, I would love to be paying 1,000,000 in tax.

[D'oh]Yes, yes he is right, the amount of tax you have to pay is ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    It is full of foreigners too, unlike good ol' England.

No, wait...

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    LG,

excellent.

Sas and Clipper,

you boyz make me larf.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    There's mainland and then there's mainland Milan.
    Most sane people would prefer Laaahndan over the deppressing Czech Potato farm you inhabit.

BTW Does your Passat still pull the crowds in that god-forsaken hole?
    No - it's now pulling a plough as it is the only working tractor in the village.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    LG,

please, we don't want the herd spoiling our party on the mainland.

There's mainland and then there's mainland Milan.
    Most sane people would prefer Laaahndan over the deppressing Czech Potato farm you inhabit.

BTW Does your Passat still pull the crowds in that god-forsaken hole?

Leave a comment:

• Likely
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Sorry Milan, what was I thinking. It is crap on the mainland, the rates are rubbish and it rains as much as it does in England. The place is full of dirty foreignors or british tourists and they all smell. You wouldnt want to eat the muck they serve as food and you cant get decent bacon anywhere. The beer is over priced piss too.
    You would be better off in that London.
    Move along, nothing to see here.
    Is that better beans??

But you are a foreigner now .. are you being tulip-treated ??

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    LG,

Folks, don't listen to LG, he's making it up.

Laaandan and UK are the best places to contract and of course .Net like DimPrawn and you're sorteeeeeeeeeeed.

Milan.
    Sorry Milan, what was I thinking. It is crap on the mainland, the rates are rubbish and it rains as much as it does in England. The place is full of dirty foreignors or british tourists and they all smell. You wouldnt want to eat the muck they serve as food and you cant get decent bacon anywhere. The beer is over priced piss too.
    You would be better off in that London.
    Move along, nothing to see here.
    Is that better beans??

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    LG,

Folks, don't listen to LG, he's making it up.

Laaandan and UK are the best places to contract and of course .Net like DimPrawn and you're sorteeeeeeeeeeed.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I have been working on the mainland for most of the last 10 years.
    My industry is normaly English speaking so no probs there. I do speak a little German now. 2 years in Belgium but no Flemish or french.
    After I have sorted my travel, lodging and tax I am taking more home than if I had taken the best rate I have been offered for a daily travel job and substantialy more than if I had taken a weekly commute to the South of England.

Leave a comment:

• Likely
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If you are feeling the pinch in the down turn why not come and join us on the mainland. Rates are pretty good and the exchange rate makes them better. You cna usualy weekly commute as easily as you can to anywhere in the UK and lifestyles are so so much better.
    As you are earning in Euros the beers dont seem so expensive as they do on holiday.

Come on, you know it makes sense.
    So do you make more or less doing the same work in the UK and main EU ( Germany etc ) and considering taxation ?

Leave a comment:

• LittlestHobbo
    replied
    do you need to be able to speak German?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    If you are feeling the pinch in the down turn why not come and join us on the mainland. Rates are pretty good and the exchange rate makes them better. You cna usualy weekly commute as easily as you can to anywhere in the UK and lifestyles are so so much better.
    As you are earning in Euros the beers dont seem so expensive as they do on holiday.

Come on, you know it makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    ...contracts never need references despite the agent BS you might hear.
    .... unless of course you're going to work in finance, in which case they definitely DO want your references. Worst of all, they actually CHECK them

Leave a comment:

Working...
X