• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you prepared for next IT contractor downturn?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Well done MM.

Of course soon when it becomes 'what's hers is hers and what's yours is hers' you won't get a sniff of that inceased rate.
    Cheers.

I'll just leave it in the company, then it's not mine - or hers!
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
      how long do you have to stick it out?

i've gone permie after contracting for 5 years. i've been permie 9 months now. if i leave a perm job after 1 year it looks bad right? i've got to stick it out for 2 years?

Just put it down as another contract? when the markets going again no one looks at longevity etc the employment market is much more flexible than it used to be - if you've got the skills to pay the bills you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by LittlestHobbo View Post
        Just put it down as another contract?
        That's what i did when I did a 5 month permie stint during the last downturn. It's down as a contract on my CV - because in my mind it was only temporary, no matter what the employer called it.
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          There's really no such thing as permie any more... outside of the public sector...
          yep i agree and alot of those jobs are fixed term contracts on permie wages..

I mean FFS what are the benefits of being permie...a chap who started with us recently was coming in on a streak of 3 redundencies...he'd not even managed to bag a fun size pay off..

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
            how long do you have to stick it out?

i've gone permie after contracting for 5 years. i've been permie 9 months now. if i leave a perm job after 1 year it looks bad right? i've got to stick it out for 2 years?
            I would have thought that a year looks respectable. Practice the weasel words (lack of challenge etc) for the upcoming interviews.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              I've never had a redundancy payout worth the name...
              I had 20k when I left BT after 5 years. Spent it on motorbikes, mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                I had 20k when I left BT after 5 years. Spent it on motorbikes, mostly.
                You jammy git!

Just jealous really ...
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  You jammy git!
                  Just jealous really ...
                  It's all long gone.

Comment

I think as long as the agencies dont screw you that much, and you're flexible on rates and location; with the right experience and skillset as contractors there is nothing particularly concerning.

Or... is my glass half empty or half full?

Comment

Originally posted by Solent View Post
                      flexible on rates
                      is the unfortunate part...working anywhere for sod all isn't too difficult...

working for a good rate not hours away from home i think becomes more difficult..

Comment

Working...
                      X