• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How the hell did you get the gig?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheVoice View Post
    Picture the scene if you will, a bloated IT office clutered into outsourcing company groups (yes, one of those)...full of contractors.

I have the baffling fortune of sitting next to a supposedly experienced VMWare & Wintel contractor who has worked for the likes of HP, Centrica, NHS, you name it.

Over the last week I have not only had to tell this person step by step how to set up a 2003 domain, but have had to explain the concept of a DMZ & where ISA Servers fit in, go step by step through the setup of ESX several times & finally explain how Exchange works.

It seems this guy survives by asking questions & bulls**tting his way round everything else to me. It's got to the point where I am thinking of invoicing him rather than the client!

Anyone else have a clueless blagger bugging them & how many times do you roll your eyes & think "how the bloody hell did you get this gig" in a day?!
    Does it say you work well in a team on your CV?
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post

Are you sure you're not feeling the need to "prove" how good you are to him?
      Its not all about showing how good you are.
      Here here. I think the main driver is sheer frustration & my "oh for god sake, how can you not know that" kinda mindset

Originally posted by RateWhore
      Does it say you work well in a team on your CV?
      Hell no. That's touchy feely stuff!

Originally posted by Dow Jones
      Nigerian, by any chance?
      Is it that obvious?!

Comment

Working...
      X