• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How the hell did you get the gig?!"

Collapse

• TheVoice
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post

Are you sure you're not feeling the need to "prove" how good you are to him?
    Its not all about showing how good you are.
    Here here. I think the main driver is sheer frustration & my "oh for god sake, how can you not know that" kinda mindset

Originally posted by RateWhore
    Does it say you work well in a team on your CV?
    Hell no. That's touchy feely stuff!

Originally posted by Dow Jones
    Nigerian, by any chance?
    Is it that obvious?!

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by TheVoice View Post
    Picture the scene if you will, a bloated IT office clutered into outsourcing company groups (yes, one of those)...full of contractors.

I have the baffling fortune of sitting next to a supposedly experienced VMWare & Wintel contractor who has worked for the likes of HP, Centrica, NHS, you name it.

Over the last week I have not only had to tell this person step by step how to set up a 2003 domain, but have had to explain the concept of a DMZ & where ISA Servers fit in, go step by step through the setup of ESX several times & finally explain how Exchange works.

It seems this guy survives by asking questions & bulls**tting his way round everything else to me. It's got to the point where I am thinking of invoicing him rather than the client!

Anyone else have a clueless blagger bugging them & how many times do you roll your eyes & think "how the bloody hell did you get this gig" in a day?!
    Does it say you work well in a team on your CV?

Leave a comment:

• kali
    replied
    Originally posted by rz6bm7 View Post
    I can't hide my prejudice & always keep a close eye on my whippet and ferrets whenever I see southerner , I've seen eastenders I know what your like....

Leave a comment:

• ace00
    replied
    Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
    You have to learn the art of avoidance mate.
    He's probably got you sussed as someone who he can easily pump for info.

Anyway, whatever your driver to tell him everything you know, he's probably planning on getting the kudos from those that matter whilst making sure you're never mentioned in despatches.

The only way to combat this is to do the following
    - Feign ignorance.
    - Say you're too busy
    - Arrange a time and then cancel it (go on holiday etc)

Under no circumstances, lose your rag with him.
    He's only doing his job.

Shhhh. You shouldn't give that away for free. See what you've done there? Fell into the very trap you're describing; by describing it. Brilliant. Now explain that to the Yanks. Multi-layered irony.

Leave a comment:

• rz6bm7
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
    You're not from London are you?

I can't hide my prejudice & always keep a close eye on my whippet and ferrets whenever I see southerner , I've seen eastenders I know what your like....

Leave a comment:

• Ivor Bigun
    replied
    Originally posted by TheVoice View Post
    It seems this guy survives by asking questions & bulls**tting his way round everything else to me. It's got to the point where I am thinking of invoicing him rather than the client!

Anyone else have a clueless blagger bugging them & how many times do you roll your eyes & think "how the bloody hell did you get this gig" in a day?!
    You have to learn the art of avoidance mate.
    He's probably got you sussed as someone who he can easily pump for info.

Anyway, whatever your driver to tell him everything you know, he's probably planning on getting the kudos from those that matter whilst making sure you're never mentioned in despatches.

The only way to combat this is to do the following
    - Feign ignorance.
    - Say you're too busy
    - Arrange a time and then cancel it (go on holiday etc)

Under no circumstances, lose your rag with him.
    He's only doing his job.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave.Mac View Post
    Why? How's that offensive? I've been called Scotty plenty of places I've been. Oh let me guess, it's because I'm white, I'm not allowed to take offence.
    You're not from London are you?

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
    I did get it actually, was just hoping I was mistaken and that wasn't the case.

Why? How's that offensive? I've been called Scotty plenty of places I've been. Oh let me guess, it's because I'm white, I'm not allowed to take offence.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    Nige - pronounced naij - short for Nigerian, geddit?
    I did get it actually, was just hoping I was mistaken and that wasn't the case.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    ah that explains a lot.
    The guys here must think I am a w@nkerstani

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Nige

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    everyone called him Nige (his name wasn't Nigel).
    What are you blathering on about?

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Dow,

are we on the same project ?

Milan.
    Mate, the blaggers are everwhere. We had one at my last place - everyone called him Nige (his name wasn't Nigel). His PM was scared to get rid of him in case he was accused of racist bias, stayed for a good few months there.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Dow,
    Milan.
    Stop asking the poor guy all those questions! How did you get that gig anyway?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Dow,

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X