• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A bit of gloomy doom to brighten up the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    IANAL, but I'm fairly sure being in a car while in possession of the car keys after a few pints counts as DUI if the cops decide to take an interest.... So you'd have to be teetotal and homeless.
    True. Friend of mine was done by the old bill for sleeping it off in his car in the pub carpark. Spent a night in the cells and was released in the morning with a caution.
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      True. Friend of mine was done by the old bill for sleeping it off in his car in the pub carpark. Spent a night in the cells and was released in the morning with a caution.
      If ever caught in the same situation - make sure you don't have the keys on you (say a friend had taken them to stop you driving) and kip on the passenger’s side- if you have the keys then technically you are still in control of the car & can be breathalysed.

I also know of someone roused from his bed at home in the middle of the night by plod and asked to unlock his car boot -upon returning from the house with the car keys and unlocking the boot Plod proceeded to breathalyse him

HTH
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        I've sometimes considered this as a plan B. Just buy a people carrier and live in that. What's the legal position in the UK/Europe with regard to living in a car? How would anyone ever find out if you move every night anyway?
        |Some years ago one of the aussie Europe on 10$ @ day sites had a survival guide on how to buy a VW camper van & get away with parking on the streets of London - it seemed the limiting factor ( & this was in the 90's) was how long before the local feral kids sussed out you were living there and started to hassle you
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          I also know of someone roused from his bed at home in the middle of the night by plod and asked to unlock his car boot -upon returning from the house with the car keys and unlocking the boot Plod proceeded to breathalyse him

HTH
          Always be polite to a policeman, even if they get you up in the middle of the night.

HTH
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
          X