• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If I were Prime Minister....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Perhaps there's a good argument for linking national service (military other otherwise) to school results. I.e. maintain a C average for GCSEs or it's off to boot camp for 2 years. The acheivers are exempt, the under acheivers have something to motivate them, and the layabouts get to learn that there are consequences (which is after all the real problem we have).
    Someone told me they do this in Turkey.

I think National Service would be a stupid pointless and expensive waste. Kids who don't need to learn about responsibility etc (the vast majority) will do it but will be wasting their time, and the kids you all seem to think would be knocked into shape will either not do it, or do it in a crap way.

Pointless, expensive and, frankly, silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Someone told me they do this in Turkey.

I think National Service would be a stupid pointless and expensive waste. Kids who don't need to learn about responsibility etc (the vast majority) will do it but will be wasting their time, and the kids you all seem to think would be knocked into shape will either not do it, or do it in a crap way.

Pointless, expensive and, frankly, silly.
      I think you are wrong - everybody can learn something from doing good in their community, but we're going round in circles here because neither of us can accurately predict the behavior of future generations of kids and it's moot because no government would ever have the balls to do it.

And for that reason, I'm out.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If I were Prime Minister. . . I would not pick the UK.

HTH
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Bring back the death penalty for parking on double yellow lines.
          You saw that Open University programme too?

It's a damn good argument.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          I'd deport all the useless parts of society to the Isle of Wight.
          I thought somebody already had.

hee hee

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          4. Allow people to jump the health service queue by opting to pay a high percentage of the costs of an operation. This will add extra finance to the health service while reducing costs.
          This means:
          "By paying, allow one person to leap to the top of the queue by making every other person in the queue shuffle down by one place."

Poor people will never get treated.

5. Politicians proven to have lied to be automatically sacked.
          There would be no politicians very quickly.

7. People must get a permit to have children and can only do so once married and with sufficient funds to afford to bring them up and the number allowed will be based on affordability.
          Will that mean compulsory abortion or compulsory sterilisation?

11. Withdraw from the EU.
          ... and? C'mon, nobody ever does the second part. It is basic, simple Keynesian economics:

11. Withdraw from the EU and grovel to the Commonwealth and ask if they'll have us back.

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
          Make it legal to stab Cherie Blair
          ... but only in the face.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
            If giving this age group some discipline reduced crime and prison occupation by even 20% over forthcoming years and gave them some work ethics (therefore paying taxes and not claiming dole), it would probably pay for itself, and eradicate a lot of hoodies and chavs off the streets?
            Exactly right.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              You saw that Open University programme too?

It's a damn good argument.

I thought somebody already had.

hee hee

This means:
              "By paying, allow one person to leap to the top of the queue by making every other person in the queue shuffle down by one place."

Poor people will never get treated.

There would be no politicians very quickly.

Will that mean compulsory abortion or compulsory sterilisation?

... and? C'mon, nobody ever does the second part. It is basic, simple Keynesian economics:

11. Withdraw from the EU and grovel to the Commonwealth and ask if they'll have us back.

... but only in the face.
              Exactly where I was planning on stabbing her, I just hope she doesn't open her mouth, it may scupper all my plans as the majority of my attacks would disappear into the gaping void.......

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                I'd annexe the Sudetenland.
                I'd annex Sunderland.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  I'd annex Sunderland.
                  The rest of us would throw it back.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    The rest of us would throw it back.
                    But then where would we send the chavs?
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

If I were Prime Minister I would simply appoint Jeremy Clarkson "Minister of Everything" and that's it.

Sorteeeeeeeeeeeed.

Comment

Working...
                      X