• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Federer/Nadal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    If it were a boxing match it could be described as Federer being repeatedly knocked to the canvass and repeatedly coming back for more, often making inspired comebacks on points when it mattered. Again and again he was on his arse - and almost looked out of it - but again the true champion that he is would come back and level the match. He never looked like he could win, but you always thought there was a possibility that he might triumph through experience or stamina, if he could just get ahead somehow despite the constant battering, or that the challenger would grow weary of the man who refuses to stay down. But the champ was to loose and relinquish the crown after having climbed mount improbable and having suffered those terrible injuries for nought.

Miss the F1 racing too? Now that really was exciting.
    Just a warning that Timberwolfs post is complete bollox.

Comment

And they kept using French words throughout the match. Speaking of which, the scoring is weird/French too. First of all it goes up in units of 15, for no apparent good Anglo Saxon reason. And just as you're getting used to that, it starts going up in 10's At which point they start using French words again.
      Evolution in action. They used to use the quarters of a watch - 15, 30, 45 - but 45 got tedious so they switched to 40. Deuce is a tied game, and you have to win a tie by two clear points, hence advantage. All perfectly sensible (at least, to a Frenchman it is...)

And "Love" is derived from "'l'oeuf" (which as I'm sure you know means egg in French) because that's what a zero looks like, apparently. Except in France they say "Zero"...

Anyway - nought, one, two, three, three-an-a-bit... I mean, where's the romance?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Anyway - nought, one, two, three, three-an-a-bit... I mean, where's the romance?
        They use an unromantic numbering system in tie-breaks though

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          I ignored the tennis & watched the thing about Building 7...
          I saw a bit of it. In summary it looked like a bunch of loons frothing at the mouth about some sort of conspiracy, while the scientist types calmly explained that the building was on fire and the steel buckled, behaving exactly as the laws of physics predict?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            "Exactly as the laws of physics predict"...

It still seems a little odd... it couldn't have fallen down more neatly if it had tried...
            Well, gravity is a downward force. For it not to fall down neatly requires a horizontal force to be found from somewhere. You can make building topple by having a falling part pull down a non-falling part, for example by placing explosives, and the framework resist tensile forces, but it's probably not the most likely behaviour you'd expect from a hot steel, which would be a bit floppy.

Comment

For it not to fall down neatly requires a horizontal force to be found from somewhere.
              Plenty of those in a collapsing steel lattice structure. I think Zeity's on about the apparently unhindered, near freefall velocity descent into it's own basement.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                Plenty of those in a collapsing steel lattice structure. I think Zeity's on about the apparently unhindered, near freefall velocity descent into it's own basement.
                What do you expect except free-fall if a building comes straight down?

Comment

Looks like we have our very own conspiracy theorists and expert structural engineers on CUK. Not to mention global warming experts.
                  The reaction of one of the chief conspiracy theorists on the program when presented with the evidence against was instructive. It was something like:

"Don't be ******* silly, man".

Anyone who has to deal with any sort of political structure knows that the competence to engineer and maintain silence in a conspiracy is non existent.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Looks like we have our very own conspiracy theorists...
                    No no no, I have no conspiracy theories, couldn't care less about if/who/what/why and all that.

It's simply that this:
                    What do you expect except free-fall if a building comes straight down?
                    ...is highly unlikely to happen in a natural building collapse.

I also don't believe the US govt are competent enough to pull off any 'conspiracy' of this kind.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                      ...is highly unlikely to happen in a natural building collapse.

The guy in charge of the official investigation (which took 2 years) explained exactly why, in this particular building, the collapse happened as it did. I'm no engineer but his explanation seemed highly probable to me.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X