• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you like your French fries ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Does this increase or decrease the water content?

A problem with chips IMO is the high water content, which means they take ages to cook. Has anyone tried microwaving them to get them up to temperature before frying?
    It increases it, frying drives a lot of water out of the chips, where do you think the steam comes from when you cook them?

And good food takes time to cook. Even chips.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
      Northern curry sauce - WTF is that.
      It's thicker, more viscous than the stuff down here - generally. Tastes about the same though.

Comment

I like mine made with fresh potatoes stolen from the nearest allotment

Crispy, with plenty of sea salt and a splash of vinegar.
        Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
          I like mine made with fresh potatoes stolen from the nearest allotment

Crispy, with plenty of sea salt and a splash of vinegar.
          watch it , bunny face
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I like my french fries served with a Big Mac.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Does this increase or decrease the water content?

A problem with chips IMO is the high water content, which means they take ages to cook. Has anyone tried microwaving them to get them up to temperature before frying?
              It doesn't make much difference to the water content (potatoes are very watery anyway) but it leaches the starch out. Rather than just draining them, you should also rinse them under cold running water after soaking, just to wash away any starch left on the outside.

The crucial part is the drying of the outside before the first frying. This is absolutely essential, otherwise they'll never become crisp.

Oh, and it's worth absorbing any excess oil once they're done using kitchen roll - helps keep them crisp

Also worthy of note is that they can be left for quite some time after the initial frying. So they can be started and left to cool, then given the second fry once the rest of the meal is ready - handy if the latter stages of preparing the meal involve a lot of fiddly stuff, as you don't have the additional hassle of keeping an eye on them during the initial frying.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                It doesn't make much difference to the water content (potatoes are very watery anyway) but it leaches the starch out. Rather than just draining them, you should also rinse them under cold running water after soaking, just to wash away any starch left on the outside.

The crucial part is the drying of the outside before the first frying. This is absolutely essential, otherwise they'll never become crisp.

Oh, and it's worth absorbing any excess oil once they're done using kitchen roll - helps keep them crisp

Also worthy of note is that they can be left for quite some time after the initial frying. So they can be started and left to cool, then given the second fry once the rest of the meal is ready - handy if the latter stages of preparing the meal involve a lot of fiddly stuff, as you don't have the additional hassle of keeping an eye on them during the initial frying.
                Doesn't make sense to me. Potatoes are mostly water with starch the next greatest ingredient, so the benefit of leaving chips to soak and drying them etc. would have to be tested under controlled conditions if I'm to believe it Incidentally if you grate potatoes and collect the gloop together it acts like liquid that goes hard when you move it suddenly, or compress it. Can be fun to play with while you wait for the chips to cook, unless microwaving speeds the process up which also has to be tested...

Comment

Doesn't make sense to me. Potatoes are mostly water with starch the next greatest ingredient, so the benefit of leaving chips to soak and drying them etc. would have to be tested under controlled conditions if I'm to believe it
                  I tested it the night before last, and will be testing it again shortly - it works perfectly

Incidentally if you grate potatoes and collect the gloop together it acts like liquid that goes hard when you move it suddenly, or compress it.
                  Funnily enough, I made rosti a few nights back - the key thing with that is to wrap the grated potato in a clean teatowel (or you can just about get away with paper kitchen towels) and squeeze it mega-hard to wring as much water out as possible. It's surprising the amount of liquid that comes out of two small grated potatoes

Comment

Shame on you EO for this crass posting... it may have slipped under the admins radar but to joke about the slaughter of two young French students is over the mark no matter how well disguised

Shame on you

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurBigot View Post
                      Shame on you EO for this crass posting... it may have slipped under the admins radar but to joke about the slaughter of two young French students is over the mark no matter how well disguised

Shame on you
                      Have you reported it? I had to re-read the original several times before I understood what you are going on about(but I am slow) - I guess it was before the news that they were tortured?

Comment

Working...
                      X