• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

well done andy murray

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    WHS

Comment

Even McEnroe was calling him English. Although he's British it's a bit pathetic if a Scot is the only 'English' hope. he's not ready yet apparently, I thought Nadal was younger than him when winning Gran Slams? (maybe even the same age now). Even though he looks a boy to Nadals man.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        Even McEnroe was calling him English.
        That's seppies for you
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          No he's Scottish, as he was so keen to point out in his support of Paraguay when they were playing England - so I hope he loses. Often.

In general I'm happy (as an Englishman) when Wales, Scotland etc are doing well but when they are as chippy as that they can go hang.
          That was a severe case of big mouth. He might at least have been smart enough to reflect that success for him is essentially going to be defined in terms of winning on English soil: given the choice, would he rather do it as an outsider or as the home hope with the crowd on his side?

Less cynically, the question of supporting England second only to Scotland, or vice versa for an English person, is a much more lively question for a Scot than for an Englishman. For an Englishman, it seems to me that (at least until the recent tendency for some Scots to be mouthy about it) they will just think "Oh well, England, Britain, yeah we are still in it".

Many Scots OTOH simply resist the thought that it can be taken for granted that they will support England, thinking of it as Britain. On the other side, many Scots who declare that they would never support anybody else against any home nation, are the most vociferous critics of the first group. We are obviously talking more than sport here.

Personally I am in neither group. No you may not take it for granted that I support Britain in any sense (nor may you take it that I do not); but I won't go around opposing England on the field. I'd rather see them win than Paraguay or Turkey or whoever; but I can't honestly pretend that it's anything like seeing Scotland win.

Maybe the correct thing to do is to pretend dishonestly out of courtesy. Which Murray clearly lacks. And don't get me started on former First Minister McConnell.

Comment

As a Scot, I cringe when I see childishly racist Scots bemoaning England at all costs. I'd hate to define myself purely in terms of my hatred of another country, but that point is lost on a lot of them.

If Scotland and England are in something together (e.g. the occasional World Cup) i will support Scotland until they are out, then England until they are out.

Comment

I have no problem with Murray with the whole Scottish/English thing - if he wants to run the risk of losing the majority of the support he gets at SW19 then that is his choice. What I have a problem with is that he comes accross as a right miserable fekcer. The guy is the British number 1 and on a wedge of cash yet he has a face like a well slapped @rse. I think if I was getting the cash he is for doing something I enjoyed at his age I'd be just a tad more upbeat about things.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                I have no problem with Murray with the whole Scottish/English thing - if he wants to run the risk of losing the majority of the support he gets at SW19 then that is his choice. What I have a problem with is that he comes accross as a right miserable fekcer. The guy is the British number 1 and on a wedge of cash yet he has a face like a well slapped @rse. I think if I was getting the cash he is for doing something I enjoyed at his age I'd be just a tad more upbeat about things.
                He was very very upbeat last night. Alot more than Henman ever was.

Comment

He is not British, he has made that point well clear. He is just another foreignor and he has stated that he always wants to see England lose.
                  He therefore doesn't even appear on my radar. I switch off when he is mentioned. I take no pleasure from his results, win or lose.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    He is not British, he has made that point well clear.
                    It annoys me when I hear Scots (and some English) claim they are not British. Of course they are, they can't help it. It's not a choice, you can't choose not to be British.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                      It annoys me when I hear Scots (and some English) claim they are not British. Of course they are, they can't help it. It's not a choice, you can't choose not to be British.
                      You mean 'Of the British Isles" ?
                      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                      X