• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Co-Workers... what to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
    I fly Robinson's, the R22 and R44. Don't own either, but would like to!! If anybody fancies coming flying anytime, and your in the midlands, then PM me - happy to take people for a "jollie" - you buy the sarnies!
    Any piccies?

Comment

HeliCraig,

Do you think he visits this forum?

Comment

1). Its an open plan office, everyone talks across it to some extent. In fact, the gentleman concerned is one of the worst offenders - he very often reads out loud from the "VIZ Profanosaurus," which is rude, and to be honest irritates the hell out of me when I am working - but I let it ride.

2). When I am concentrating I often listen to music, as do several others here, and most other places I have worked. Have you seen the "what you listening to" thread.

I am behaving, to some extent like a permie. This is because, I suppose, to a large extent the job is like a permie. I've been here for 18 months, he's been here 4 years.

I won't be offering to help him out, because I have enough of my own work on, although I admit this would really take the wind out of his sails if I did.

I shall apologise to him for "annoying" him, because it was unintentional - had he had a quiet word then I would have tried to accomodate him.

That said, I want at least a public apology for the way he spoke to me. I then want readings from "the good book" canned, and his toaster binned (as it stinks the office out and isn't PAT tested).

Oooh, I'm just getting angrier. Thats not right.
        Personally, I listen to my iPod to allow me get some work done as both my client sites are full of bombastic eejits who like to bellow a lot.

There may be some mitigating factors for this guy doing this (pressure etc.) so he might well see that he was out of order when things calm down and/or the manager talsk to him - maybe even an apology?

On the other hand, he could be completely lacling in self-awareness and might even think that this is acceptable behaviour.

On balance, you're probably better letting it lie for the rest of the day.

I hate this type of thing as it would almost certainly end up in a fight if someone did this to me (though that is very much my problem)
        Last edited by Rantor; 27 June 2008, 09:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto View Post
          HeliCraig,

Do you think he visits this forum?
          how many of us use a toaster in the office and quote profanities from viz?

Comment

If anyone talks to me like that I wouldn't be expecting a public apology. I'd take him to one side and tell him quietly if he speaks to me like that again I will rip his head off his shoulders!!!

Grow a pair ffs!!
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
              only sas.

Comment

1). Its an open plan office, everyone talks across it to some extent. In fact, the gentleman concerned is one of the worst offenders - he very often reads out loud from the "VIZ Profanosaurus," which is rude, and to be honest irritates the hell out of me when I am working - but I let it ride.

2). When I am concentrating I often listen to music, as do several others here, and most other places I have worked. Have you seen the "what you listening to" thread.

I am behaving, to some extent like a permie. This is because, I suppose, to a large extent the job is like a permie. I've been here for 18 months, he's been here 4 years.

I won't be offering to help him out, because I have enough of my own work on, although I admit this would really take the wind out of his sails if I did.

I shall apologise to him for "annoying" him, because it was unintentional - had he had a quiet word then I would have tried to accomodate him.

That said, I want at least a public apology for the way he spoke to me. I then want readings from "the good book" canned, and his toaster binned (as it stinks the office out and isn't PAT tested).

Oooh, I'm just getting angrier. Thats not right.
                If you want to get even then do this - but wait a while first.
                - Wait til no-one is arround and break the element in the toaster.
                - Put water on his seat before he gets in. The fabric will look dry but he'll have a nice wet bum when he sits down. He won't realise it until its too late.
                Its best to do this before he has a meeting.
                - Loosen the power connection to his PC. Do it so that for most of the time, it gives power OK. Every now and then, watch him curse as the computer reboots and he doesn't know why. Even better if he calls out a technician and he finds it.

Give him enough rope to hang himself with. Get him to do the complaining and smile sweetly (and quietly) throughout.

N.B. If someone wanted to be "last man standing", they'd have an easy job getting rid of you.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Just testing. You didn't take umbrage which is a good sign.
                  Seriously though, when I was a contractor it was wear a suit always, head down, focus on the goal, smile at everybody, don't say much (well for the most part anyway...). I behaved like a professional businessman and was treated as such.
                  You know, I think you are right. When I started here I treated professionally wearing a suit (which I think still counts), head down, work done. But now, I look down, and find myself wearing jeans & t-shirt (albeit dress down Friday!).

Think I shall re-align myself come Monday, and in the short term just be polite but firm with the lazy good for nothing workshy geordie bar steward. Failing that:

What was nice is that I just got an email from another contractor, who didn't catch the slanging match, but caught the aftermath to say that he thinks the original chap can be one of the worst culprits for being distracting!!

(And in answer to other questions: no, he isn't on here as far as I know; but one other chap in the office is (he's not commented yet).

And I do have piccies Churchill, but my head is too far up my own arse, while being a twat, to post them!!! ).

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                    Don't know, but he's a contractor as well, and there are more than 11000 members of this site plus all the others that haven't bothered registering, but still read this forum.

So come on, other contractor, let's hear your side of the story!

Comment

He's been there 4 years already?
                      Start looking for another contract as a defensive measure at least.
                      Don't bother complaining to managment / agency do you think they give a frak?
                      Bored.

Comment

Working...
                      X