• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harman at it again.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    *chomp chomp*
    That's not popcorn Xen, here, put it in your lap instead.

Comment

I recall one job interview, many years ago when I was a young lad, when the interviewer said:
      "We're required under sex discrimination laws to ask all applicants the same questions, so:
      Are you planning on becoming pregnant during the next few years?"

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
        That's not popcorn Xen, here, put it in your lap instead.
        *blink*

*phooeeeaaarrgggghhhh*
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
          *blink*

*phooeeeaaarrgggghhhh*
          Here - have a mars bar. Anyway, I think the show's over now. People are back on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
            As usual the non-thinking sas adds his 1p.
            I guess I must be non thinking also as I was thinking what Sas said. Before starting a permie role people are asked about their medical background and often have to have a medical. This isn't because they are interested in how fit the person is because they are being nice, it is to judge how fit they are and if they are likely to be a risk regarding extended time off work. By the same token a woman who pops out sprogs once every couple of years can legally expect to have huge amounts of time off work. Why shouldn't the employer be allowed to factor that into the equation?
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
              Harman pushes discrimination plan

WTF? Saw this on the Beeb earlier today. If companies want to employ older, female or ethnic minority workers, they already can, can't they? She makes my blood boil.
              I don't know the detail of this plan, but given the source it is unlikely to be a) sensible, b) workable or c) of benefit to anyone (with the possible exception of the legal profession).

On the other hand, it appears unlikely to affect contractors much.
              If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                I guess I must be non thinking also as I was thinking what Sas said. Before starting a permie role people are asked about their medical background and often have to have a medical. This isn't because they are interested in how fit the person is because they are being nice, it is to judge how fit they are and if they are likely to be a risk regarding extended time off work. By the same token a woman who pops out sprogs once every couple of years can legally expect to have huge amounts of time off work. Why shouldn't the employer be allowed to factor that into the equation?
                Look at it from a woman's point of view though - you can have kids or a decent job but not both. Why?

Are we really such a poorly run crappo economy that we can't accommodate a highly skilled and capable 50% of the potential workforce working in a slightly different way? You lot sound like the Taliban sometimes - I mean why bother sending girls to school?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Look at it from a woman's point of view though - you can have kids or a decent job but not both. Why?

Are we really such a poorly run crappo economy that we can't accommodate a highly skilled and capable 50% of the potential workforce working in a slightly different way? You lot sound like the Taliban sometimes - I mean why bother sending girls to school?
                  Women can have both. Unfair to companies (and to male employees) to expect to do it at the same time though. Surely women are able to plan this? And I disagree that we should look at it from any particular gender's point of view - we should always look at it from the company's point of view - private companies are not charities.

Taliban comparison is frankly ridiculous.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Because you can't be in two places at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                      Because you can't be in two places at the same time
                      Not even by the power of teleconferencing?
                      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Working...
                      X