• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The CD you couldn't live without...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    seriously? to me that album's a 1 trick pony. After "London calling" there's a significant drop-off. What's your second favourite track on it?
    If anything, London Calling is my least favourite track on the 'Album 1' half. Favourites; Rudie Can't Fail and Train in Vain.

I saw them three tiimes on tour a few weeks after it came out and, as a impressionable wee punkster, it was the moment in music that has always stuck with me. I think it is the only album I've owned in Vinyl, Cassette and CD (via minidisc to iPod)

Comment

The Finest 'arvest Of The Wurzels
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        RoadHawks - Hawkwind.

CD I could happily do without: Levitation - Hawkwind.
        Good Lord! Another Hawkwind fan! Haven't met a new one for years.

Comment

London Calling

well, I'll put it on and give it another chance. Lots of ironing to do.

In answer to the original question, "The Velvet Underground and Nico". It isn't my actual favourite: but a lot of albums are interchangeable when it comes down to brass tacks, while there's nothing remotely like this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
            Not just a song, what you consider to be the perfect album...

Astral Weeks - VM or
            Abraxas - Santana

(I suspect I heard them both in utero)
            If it had to be one perfect one, then that would be the Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

But I would be loathed to have to live without:

The Pixies - Doolittle
            The Lemonheads - It's a shame about Ray
            Faith No More - King for a day, Fool for a lifetime
            Johnny Thunders - So Alone

And it is not the case that all music released after you are seventeen is rubbish - I was nineteen when most of those were made.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Good Lord! Another Hawkwind fan! Haven't met a new one for years.
              I scarcely listen to music at home these days (six years working in music venues will do that to you) but some of my happiest hours in the Eighties were spent at Hawkwind gigs... usually with some heavy-duty assistance to the chemistry of the brain, but let's not go there

I recently listened to some Hawkwind for the first time in years, and it was excellent - Steppenwolf may not be quite as wondrous as the actual novel by Hermann Hesse, but it's a damn good tune

Soon I shall use my USB turntable to shift Space Ritual over to the digital age...

(Well, maybe I'll just buy the CD )

Comment

Oh, and much of Hawklords - 25 Years On is most fine, too

Comment

"Simply Rock Moods" - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Note - I only listen to that in the Range Rover, you need 14 speakers to really enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                    Not just a song, what you consider to be the perfect album...

Astral Weeks - VM or
                    Abraxas - Santana

(I suspect I heard them both in utero)
                    I agree.
                    I've had Astral Weeks LP for years. It still makes me just *stop*. Hard to describe but it is a beautiful work of art. Partly improv too.
                    Bored.

Comment

In conclusion most Computer Contractors like Pink Floyd

I suspect many have Phil Colins in their collection also, and possibly a little Chris de Burgh
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X