• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global Cooling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    and your point is ?

Please point to the scientific evidence which would make the IPCC any more credible than the NIPCC and do try to keep an open mind

Completely agree - and without having the expertise or the time to check out the science, I would go with the majority scientific consensus.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Completely agree - and without having the expertise or the time to check out the science, I would go with the majority scientific consensus.
      Because science is all about consensus.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post

It's about trying to prove theories wrong, and this report looks like good science to me. It will be interesting to see how it's received by the wider scientific community, which I do hope hasn't been economical with the truth with regard to some of the issues raised in that report, for example well chosen 'hockey stick' graphs. I used to like that graph. One slight niggle is that the institute may be funded by oil companies.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          It's about trying to prove theories wrong, and this report looks like good science to me. It will be interesting to see how it's received by the wider scientific community, which I do hope hasn't been economical with the truth with regard to some of the issues raised in that report, for example well chosen 'hockey stick' graphs. I used to like that graph. One slight niggle is that the institute may be funded by oil companies.
          But the hockey stick was good science.
          It supported a hypothesis and it was falsifiable, thats good science. The fact that it was falsified merely knocks a support from under the hypothesis. When(if) all the supports are gone, the hypothesis will fold, and thats good science.
          SasOcrates is making the assumption that because the NIPCC group have an agenda, all their science is flawed, thats just not true. (Maybe he can provide us with an example of a truly independant, non priori , unbiased scientific team.)

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post

Don't display your ignorance. Yet again. Stick to discussions abpout make-up and the like.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Don't display your ignorance.
              I thought it would go with yours.

Comment

Why do people always seem to see environmental taxes as global warming taxes? The taxes are minor penalties for the massive mess we're making of the environment - i.e. the world around us. We stink it up, fill it with noise, clog it up wih traffic jams, cover it in filth, dig it up, chop it down, burn it and generally smash it up. We're not going to stop doing that, so it seems, and the only price we have to pay is a few extra taxes on the worst vehicles or biggest polluters.

It's funny how people will complain vehemently about people dropping litter, or throwing up outside the pub on a Saturday night, or putting graffiti on walls, or smashing up bus stops, or letting their dogs &#115;hit everywhere, but they get all huffy when they themselves have to pay taxes to compensate for the far greater damage they are doing themselves, albeit in a law-abiding way.

Forget about global warming if it bothers you so much. Just pay up for the mess you're making.

Comment

SasOcrates is making the assumption that because the NIPCC group have an agenda, all their science is flawed, thats just not true. (Maybe he can provide us with an example of a truly independant, non priori , unbiased scientific team.)

I wasn't. All so-called science should be judged on its merits, including this piece of work. I'm saying I don't have the time to assess all the stuff that's out there and in that case I will look at at the number and quality of scientists who support one or either position, as a rough rule of thumb.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

But the hockey stick was good science.
                    It supported a hypothesis and it was falsifiable, thats good science. The fact that it was falsified merely knocks a support from under the hypothesis. When(if) all the supports are gone, the hypothesis will fold, and thats good science.
                    Someone's been doing their science homework

Comment

I wasn't. All so-called science should be judged on its merits, including this piece of work. I'm saying I don't have the time to assess all the stuff that's out there and in that case I will look at at the number and quality of scientists who support one or either position, as a rough rule of thumb.
                      Oh. ok.

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X