• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toxic Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    By far the worst people I have worked with are from the 'big 4/3' whatever they are now. One 'project manager' woman had never managed a project before in her life, had some regulatory experience, subsequently brought in another 15 of her colleagues who mostly didn't have project experience either. Clearly decided our project was their training ground.

A PM I worked with in NZ had another contract at the same time and would be doing a lot of 'work' from home. We busted him.
    Team player I see

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Team player I see
      He was never around, we needed him for our project and when we had meetings he would ask why things weren't done (because they were his tasks! and he hadn't delegated anything) project was turning to tulip, permies hated him and we worked out he was still working in his previous gig that he had stolen from his outsourcer.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        I well remember the guy in Cheltenham who managed to infect the entire office with his nasty flu/cold/lurgy germs...

Cost me over a grand that did.

And I was ill over Xmas.

This wasn't in 1999 by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere
          Suddenly seeing that dilbert is in fact real is known as a "Dilbert Moment".

We had a Scottish guy on an Irish project who'd turn up drunk and stinking mid morning, with a bottle of whisky in his briefcase, which he'd drink over the course of day. By evening he was even more stinking are rather aggressive. It took management two weeks to pluck up the courage (i.e. find a couple of large security guards) to sack him.

Another Scottish contractor got sacked on a different project. Eventually the police were called in, because he took to standing outside his managers' houses of a night, shouting abuse.
          I worked on a project with a permie like that - clientco paid for him to go to rehab.! didn't do any good.

Comment

Some people are contractors because they can't hold down a permanent job.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I well remember the guy in Cheltenham who managed to infect the entire office with his nasty flu/cold/lurgy germs...

Cost me over a grand that did.

And I was ill over Xmas.
              Contractors don't take days off just because of a cold or flu. That's for wimp permies. Haven't you heard of lemsip and hankies?

and look on the bright side - At least now you'll never again get that variety of the several hundred flu strains floating around
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It might have been... why?
                Nothing to do with financial services by any chance?

Comment

Happily not

Do you have anything to confess, Nick, old chap?
                  Only that I continued to work on a financial-services-related contract, despite having a bad cold, in Cheltenham in 1999

Comment

Working...
                  X