• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Toxic Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At one gig some guy turned up and basically was way out of his depth, then stopped coming to work and started sending drunken midnight emails to the client, the clients at another branch, the boss and anyone else he could think of by the looks of it.

His replacement was from the same agency and was just as incompetent. He made an exit by claiming everyone in the team were racist homophobes (spelling please) which I resented, as one of the girls on the other side of the office was obviously not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
      He made an exit by claiming everyone in the team were racist homophobes (spelling please) which I resented, as one of the girls on the other side of the office was obviously not.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        We had a bloke on one project who used to bash the keys (I don't mean this euphemistically) really hard which was pretty distracting for the rest of us.
        I've worked with someone like that, whats worse is that at first you don't notice but once you do then you're constantly waiting for the to stop typing.

Apart from that though, this bloke was pretty normal (or at least as normal as a contractor can be)
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

One guy that was caught on cctv about 3 weeks after joining leaving the office at 8pm with about 100k worth of cisco kit. When approached said he was using it to do his CCIE and 'didnt think they'd mind!'

Sat across from a 58yr old women, brought in to do testing. She sat there for 3 months, coughing, and staring out the window. Barely touched a keyboard.

Neither were got rid of, NHS are soft.

Comment

Can't believe most of this stuff - its like a Dilbert strip come to life

Comment

Originally posted by Meerkat View Post

Sat across from a 58yr old women, brought in to do testing. She sat there for 3 months, coughing, and staring out the window. Barely touched a keyboard.

You know our Lucy then?

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                ... this 60+ year old lady from Romania ...she sat in the corner muttering darkly in some crazy language...
                Romanian, presumably.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere
                  Suddenly seeing that dilbert is in fact real is known as a "Dilbert Moment".

We had a Scottish guy on an Irish project who'd turn up drunk and stinking mid morning, with a bottle of whisky in his briefcase, which he'd drink over the course of day. By evening he was even more stinking are rather aggressive. It took management two weeks to pluck up the courage (i.e. find a couple of large security guards) to sack him.

Another Scottish contractor got sacked on a different project. Eventually the police were called in, because he took to standing outside his managers' houses of a night, shouting abuse.
                  There seems to be a bit of a common theme in there...
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    There seems to be a bit of a common theme in there...
                    Yeah, NAT how do you get these cool drinking gigs?

Comment

By far the worst people I have worked with are from the 'big 4/3' whatever they are now. One 'project manager' woman had never managed a project before in her life, had some regulatory experience, subsequently brought in another 15 of her colleagues who mostly didn't have project experience either. Clearly decided our project was their training ground.

A PM I worked with in NZ had another contract at the same time and would be doing a lot of 'work' from home. We busted him.

Comment

Working...
                      X