• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you "do" Maths?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Nope. The largest round pizza you can fit on a round plate is a round pizza. No maths required. The same would be true for a square plate, where a square pizza would be the largest you could fit on it. I think it unlikely that she had a square plate.

While you might be ok at maths, English comprehension is also important.

It was a pie, not a pizza.

Pies fit perfectly in their dishes. The size of the plate is irrelevant, because you are eating whatever was in the dish.

Comment

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
      While you might be ok at maths, English comprehension is also important.

It was a pie, not a pizza.

Pies fit perfectly in their dishes. The size of the plate is irrelevant, because you are eating whatever was in the dish.
      I didn't say it was a pie, I said it was a pizza. See below.

Whose dishes?

The original statement was "you get almost 25% more pie in a square pie than a round one at a restaurant". This is wrong. (strickly speaking pies describe volumes not areas also, and a pizza better describes the error of the situation). Your calculation (which I imagine you have now disowned?) is also wrong. What were you calculating if not a circumscribed square?

Comment

What were you calculating if not a circumscribed square?

I think circumscribing a square is ok, provided it is done young, and for sound medical reasons

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I didn't say it was a pie, I said it was a pizza. See below.

Whose dishes?

The original statement was "you get almost 25% more pie in a square pie than a round one at a restaurant". This is wrong. (strickly speaking pies describe volumes not areas also, and a pizza better describes the error of the situation). Your calculation (which I imagine you have now disowned?) is also wrong. What were you calculating if not a circumscribed square?
          Ok, if you like maths, square a circle!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Ok, if you like maths, square a circle!
            I haven't got a non-Euclidean compass on me. It can be done in Gauss-Bolyai-Lobachevsky space though, apparently. In real life it just takes a lot of force.

Comment

Working...
            X