• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£199 laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The inclusion of the hard drive probably explains the reduced battery power.

Does anyone own their own XP/Vista disc so they could install Windows using that? If so, would Windows Update detect and refuse to update? My last PC came with Windows installed, and no CD.
    Was it a Sony?

They have the disk image on the hard-drive which you're supposed to burn to a DVD when you get the PC home.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I imagine Windows only installs to a hard-drive (rather than a solid state storage) anyway?
      The solid state stuff presents itself as a drive.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Was it a Sony?

They have the disk image on the hard-drive which you're supposed to burn to a DVD when you get the PC home.
        All my last 3 PCs (inc. laptop) have been Dells. I do have a recovery disk for the older one, but I don't recall what CDs came with my more recent laptop purchase, but certainly there was not a proper Windows installation disk. I might have to check what's on the hard-drive, but don't expect to find a full Windows install.

Comment

It will almost certainly be a recovery disk... that sets it back to factory fresh, sans all your applications & data.

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
            However I was persuaded to earlier this year, and am amazed at the difference in build quality.
            Admitidley the last one was about £400 2 years ago and this one was closer to £800...
            Pray it never goes wrong and has to be returned to Acer for repair ...

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Is anyone good with repair and support these days? I phoned Dell once and gave up and solved the problem myself in the end. Fortunately their machines have been reliable in my experience - my main PC is 8 years old and still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

I have had dealings with support as it happens.

I simply enquired as to if the IR port on it was full IRDa for data transfer or just input only for a remote control.

After 2 months of going round in the circle of:

1. Acer saying it is ful IRDa
                2. Me saying it's not working
                3. Acer directing me to download the drivers, which unclude a readme stating that it is input only and will not do data transfer
                4. Me reporting this to Acer
                5. Acer passing me on to another tech support.
                6. goto 1.

I gave up.

I should probably of given up after the first itteration of part 3, but I do like a good argument
                Still Invoicing

Comment

Is anyone good with repair and support these days? I phoned Dell once and gave up and solved the problem myself in the end. Fortunately their machines have been reliable in my experience - my main PC is 8 years old and still going strong.
                  Snap!!

Network card stopped working, Dell offered to send someone round to replace it as they felt it was a hardware issue

After the phone call I tried a last resort, I uninstalled the card via the hardware manager, did a hardware scan to detect it and windows reinstalled it and it worked fine.

I emailed Dell back to cancel the engineer, they promptly phoned back to find out what they didn't know

To be fair to Dell though it did seem like a windows problem rather than a Dell specific issue
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    I emailed Dell back to cancel the engineer, they promptly phoned back to find out what they didn't know
                    At least they're eager to learn

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      It's probably due to a combination of the XP license and the hard drive - and, of course, the shorter battery life

For some reason, I don't remember reading the second line of the OP.

My phone has been ringing a lot today, so I probably got distracted (thats my excuse anyway). I keep being told blokes can't multitask.

I still think @ £249 it would be a lot more desirable with XP. £299 is just too much when you can get a better lappy for that kind of dosh.
                      Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X