• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone here an expert in Chinook software?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Friend of mine is ex-RN (you may have seen him at Diana and Charles's wedding, he was the special shiny guard stood to the right of the door when they came out....), he claims to be one of the few naval men to have torpedoed a cow.

Doing some live firing training with dummy (or at least, unarmed) Mk. 8 torpedoes off a destroyer somewhere off the south coast many years ago, someone got it entirely wrong and fired the thing to turn right (towards land) instead of left (towards America). Ran up the beach at some speed, thorugh a fence and knocked over an innocent cow.
    I used to holiday up at Arrochar as a youngster, there were certain times you weren't permitted on the beach of the campsite(Ardgarten) because of the possibility of a torpedo running up the beach.

Comment

Got chased by a herd of cows up there once. I thought they were bursting to be milked but now its obvious they were stampeding away from a salvo of torpedos.

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Wasn't the whole purpose of buying these Chinooks to help Boeings helicopter business and encourage some noisey septic politico talk about something else?

What I ask is were they ever really intended to fly?

It was, after all is said and done, just a big bung oppo.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          Wasn't the whole purpose of buying these Chinooks to help Boeings helicopter business and encourage some noisey septic politico talk about something else?

What I ask is were they ever really intended to fly?

It was, after all is said and done, just a big bung oppo.
          Oh, you cynical swine!

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
            I read somewhere that one Apache has the combined firepower of the whole Grand Fleet at Jutland.

Seems a bit hard to believe, but all the same I wouldn't want to be the wrong end to find out.
            So... at the Battle of Jutland the British Grand Fleet comprised of:

28 x Battleships
            9 x Battle Cruisers
            8 x Armoured Cruisers
            26 Light Cruisers
            78 Destroyers

The battleships main armament were 10 x 13.5 inch Mk V naval gun uprated to fire a 1400Ibs armour piercing or high explosive shell 23,800 yards (13.5 miles)

The Battle Cruisers had 8 x 12 inch MkX which would lob a 850lbs shell 24075 yards (13 miles+)

28 x 7 tons = 196 tons
            9 x 3.4tons = 30.6 tons

these two types in a hypothetical full broadsides & ignoring all the lesser ships, smaller secondary armament and torpedoes would present 226 tons at a striking velocity (dependant on angle of elevation) of 1250 fps

The Apache attack helicopter has
            30mm chain gun +1200 rounds + 8 x Hellfire missiles

Hellfire has a 20lb warhead with a range of 5+ miles and a striking speed of 425 metres /sec
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

28 x Battleships
              9 x Battle Cruisers
              8 x Armoured Cruisers
              26 Light Cruisers
              78 Destroyers

The battleships main armament were 10 x 13.5 inch Mk V naval gun uprated to fire a 1400Ibs armour piercing or high explosive shell 23,800 yards (13.5 miles)

The Battle Cruisers had 8 x 12 inch MkX which would lob a 850lbs shell 24075 yards (13 miles+)

28 x 7 tons = 196 tons
              9 x 3.4tons = 30.6 tons

these two types in a hypothetical full broadsides & ignoring all the lesser ships, smaller secondary armament and torpedoes would present 226 tons at a striking velocity (dependant on angle of elevation) of 1250 fps

Hellfire has a 20lb warhead with a range of 5+ miles and a striking speed of 425 metres /sec
              I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

28 x Battleships
                9 x Battle Cruisers
                8 x Armoured Cruisers
                26 Light Cruisers
                78 Destroyers

28 x 7 tons = 196 tons
                9 x 3.4tons = 30.6 tons

Google is your friend - and Troll is, well, he's just a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Google is your friend - and Troll is, well, he's just a troll.
                  Mostly wiki actually....... + boredom
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                  X