• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blagging

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice one Chef

USB stick will be brimming with top blagging goodies. I'll have to stay away so the evenings cramming won't be a problem, anyone know cheap digs near cheltenham with free wifi?

Comment

I tend not to blag (just word nicely) but my feeling is that most people do. I often go throgh the CV sections of project folders, and the vast majority have easy to spot mistakes such as :

SQL 2003 deisgn and implementation (do you mean 2005?)
      Exchange 2007 implementation (dated in a role in early 2006!!!)

I've also interviewed somebody who was the same school year as me but claimed A*'s at GCSE even though they weren't introduced until the following year and claimed A* at A-level which I dont think they have ever had. You should have seen his face drop when I challenged that!!

Its amazing how many people actually get through the entire interview process by blagging - but often it shows in the first few weeks, but I am more interested in somebody's ability rather than experience.

Comment

I don't blag but I have reasonable background knowledge of most technologies in my field, and don't bother with roles involving stuff I have absolutely no knowledge of. For those where I'm pushing it a bit, I tell them straight out that I don't really know very much about whatever it may be, but I know X, Y and Z about it and I'll get up to speed rapidly.

It's surprising how often one or more of X, Y and Z turns out to be something the interviewer didn't know themselves - that's usually enough that they're happy if I spend most of the first week or two Googling stuff
        Last edited by NickFitz; 2 June 2008, 03:07.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          I never blag or lie about my abilities... that’s why I keep getting crap gigs with piss poor rates, damn that catholic upbringing.
          WHS

Comment

Funny how people blag on CVs - leaving us the truthful ones on bench!

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
              Funny how people blag on CVs - leaving us the truthful ones on bench!
              You've been on the bench since 2008?
              "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I dont blag, feel no need for it. I also dont open my mouth to colleagues and stuff about what technologies I excel in and what I dont, that is the quickest way to get a load of tulip lumped your way because you know more than anyone else about the discussed technology. Just give me my work, I will complete and same again, no need to be taking on extra stuff, unless it is going to prolong a decent contract

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                  You've been on the bench since 2008?
                  Well if he resurrects zombie threads with a non-post he will find himself an ex-member of this forum...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    a) None - never have
                    WHS - I've enough stress in my life.

b) Work on my own. I could get a mirror. Dam scooter you did that? Amazing.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I blagged my way into a Java contract at an investment bank many years ago. I completed an Enterprise Java Course the day before which was the sum total of my Java experience. Once in I gravitated to the server side stuff I could just about blag properly but I was truly terrible in that contract (it was a bad time in my life, I was falling asleep in meetings etc) and I still lasted 18 months.

These days not only don't I ever blag (I don't need to) as a poacher turned gamekeeper I know when someone's trying to pull a fast one.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X