• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's a good rate for contract project managers jr in London?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"In my case, by thinking ahead and acting accordingly, I believe I significantly increased my chances. I used two gigs to combine two areas of expertise on my CV to create a highly desirable combination - well worth taking a rate cut for. However, if you think sitting around waiting for someone to break the door down and offer you your dream contract is a better bet, feel free to do that."

Well, I have taken a rate cut already since I accepted a permanent position but if you think I am the one who can sit around waiting for someone to break the door you have chosen the wrong person. The last time I remember I was idle in my life was 20 years ago when I failed one year at high school because I didn't want to study. Since that year I have never rest a single day and always been working as hell. You can gain valid experience in a permie position too and can't see the reason to accept a pay cut if the contract itself is paying less then what you make with a long term contract (permanent position). I am not a fanatic of anything and do believe contracting should be paid more, and should not be accepted in the light that your rate will increase by 300% in 9 months since this is overly optimistic.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Good for you, Franco. You'll never go wrong with the safe play.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W
        There's no rate that would tempt me to work in London right now. I hated the place before a bunch of loons started running around with rucksac bombs strapped to their backs.

You can keep it!
        Funny - I love the place even more now ...
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
          32 when I did the cheapo PM gig. Although my first PM gig was at the age of 28, I did the cheapo one because it was in a niche field and correctly reasoned it would lead on to bigger and more lucrative things. Which it did. Which was nice.
          Thank God! I did something similar, but for a lot less money. And repeated that trick with my current contract; giant leap in responsibility coupled with a crash in rate. The idea was to suffer some sort-term pain for long-term gain, although I am now questioning that wisdom!
          Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
            Thank God! I did something similar, but for a lot less money. And repeated that trick with my current contract; giant leap in responsibility coupled with a crash in rate. The idea was to suffer some sort-term pain for long-term gain, although I am now questioning that wisdom!
            Nah, should've followed Franco's plan. Get a crappy permie job and wait forever for something better to just fall out of the sky. If you can find a job where your colleagues bully you, all the better.

Stick to your guns, Slave. It's hard going short-term but more than worth it beyond that.

Comment

Working...
            X