• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LPG your motor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    That's the plan. A £75k car for £35k!!! The "Donut" tank replaces the spare wheel.

Here's a linky to the forum... LPG Discussion Forum
    Why buy a V8 monster and then try and save on fuel costs?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Cos a big V8 petrol engine is so much nicer than a diesel engine, apart from the running costs.

Comment

Morning Lad/Lassies

I've now had two LPG converted cars. The first was a (No Laughing Churchill) 1.8 rover 75 which had a factory (Loads of BMW labeled parts in the engine bay) conversion and the last was a 10 year old 728i BMW.

The Rover had single point system and the BMW a multi point (Much better)

the only reason I don't have the bimmer anymore was because it was becoming a bit of a money pit and the head gasket was on it's way out.

I P'EXd the Rover for the BMW as I'd always wanted one VERY STUPID MISTAKE!!! I probably still have the rover as it was a lot younger than the BMW although it was a shade of Gay Metalic blue so probably not.

Lots of myths out there DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM!! go to an LPGA approved installer and you'll not be dissapointed

LPG does apparently improve engine life there was a website with pictures of two engine cyclinder heads the LPG was much cleaner and hardly any wear on the moving parts the pertol powered one on the other hand

LPG systems have come a long way over the last few years I would do it to my fiat 500 if it wasn't so new.

You should service the system when you service your car there are a few filters that need changing and just to check all is well. Most insurance companies don't bother about it some do. As long as you go down the approved fitter route you'll be ok

Any questions
        Last edited by roadster198; 22 May 2008, 09:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          That's the plan. A £75k car for £35k!!! The "Donut" tank replaces the spare wheel.

Here's a linky to the forum... LPG Discussion Forum
          Nice one, cheers.

What's the capacity of the donut tank?

Got run-flat tyres on that RR? I suppose you'd need an amusing looking spacesaver wheel (legal requirement?), and/or that foam stuff for inflating a flat.

Comment

Also remember you still have to put in some petrol to your car as it can't start on gas.

Comment

Here you go

Red Diesel

Crown Oil can supply you with it where you want it, when you want it.

<admin note>Link removed on request of site owner</admin note>
              Last edited by administrator; 22 April 2014, 13:10. Reason: link removed

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Why pay more than you have to for the fuel?

I want a big 4x4 with 400bhp, that doesn't mean I should bend over and get shafted by New Liebour.

It's called mitigation.

Stick around, you'll learn more!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Red Diesel
                  That's the same as LPG?

BTW this seems to be useful:-

http://www.lpgmap.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                    That's the same as LPG?

BTW this seems to be useful:-

http://www.lpgmap.co.uk
                    He's having a laugh - red diesel is for use in tractors, boats, construction vehicles and generators etc.

The penalties for using it in a road vehicle are pretty stringent, but they have to catch you first.

As it's not for road (or only limited road) use, the duty(tax) doesn't apply so it's cheaper.

BTW it's dyed red so you call tell......

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      He's having a laugh - red diesel is for use in tractors, boats, construction vehicles and generators etc.

The penalties for using it in a road vehicle are pretty stringent, but they have to catch you first.

As it's not for road (or only limited road) use, the duty(tax) doesn't apply so it's cheaper.

BTW it's dyed red so you call tell......
                      Hmmm, not for long... Have a look at the following...

In late February, Government made an announcement regarding the outcomes of the consultation on Red Diesel. Key features of the new scheme for charging duty on marine diesel to be introduced by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) with effect from 1 November 2008 will be:

Private users can continue to use marked fuel (red diesel) provided they make a simple declaration to the supplier and pay the full duty rate for heavy oil;
                      Registered Dealers in Controlled Oils (RDCOs) will be responsible for declaring the duty collected to HMRC; and, Fuel purchased for domestic use (i.e. not for propulsion of the craft) can continue to be supplied at the rebated rate.
                      Under the new scheme, HMRC envisage that boaters will 'self declare' whether they are a commercial or recreational vessel and recreational vessels will pay the full duty rate. Fuel used for heating purposes on board will continue to be sold at the rebated rate of duty and the retailer will take the owners word, again based on self declaration, on what proportion is for heating or lighting and what is for propulsion.
                      Oh well. Anyone want to buy my boat?

Comment

Working...
                      X