• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

which is best, living outside or inside the uk ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    The working culture in Sydney is the same, or worse than London - long hours, but less pay.

Once you've been round Oz you will have to spend a lot of money for a decent holiday. It's all the same, mile after mile after mile.

Rent is very pricey here because there is an influx of immigrants and no building going on.
    yeah. I read somewhere (Affluenza maybe?) that Oz hours are nearly as long as the US now..maybe even more.

Holidays in a country which is not connected to any other could be expensive. Which is why I like the UK as its a short hop to mainland, north africa, turkey and New York.

The UK has a lot going for it...but the government is messing it up.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Or become a hairdresser. Seriously.

I'm married to a nurse/midwife which is one occupations at the top of their list so the visa isn't a problem. Hairdressers are the top occupation I believe (for Aus by the way).

Originally posted by themistry View Post
      Thanks man,

what a PITA

Appreciate your help
      TM

Comment

This must vary by state or occupation. My wife will be earning less in Melbourne than she does in the UK. But advertised contract rates for me seem to be on a par with the UK.

Combined with lower cost of living we should be a lot better off.

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        You will earn a lot less than in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
          Hairdressers are the top occupation I believe (for Aus by the way).
          I think the 'hairdresser' thing is code for 'young women of child bearing age as we have a shortage but cannot be that explicit'

This is accepting/hoping that only 10% of hairdressers are gay men.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            I bet you can't get Ebbelwoi, Grüne Sosse or Saumagen (or even Presskopf!) in London...
            Or even in Köln probably. Get a life, a few Frankfurter tourist specialities do not a culture of diversity make.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
              Or become a hairdresser. Seriously.

I'm married to a nurse/midwife which is one occupations at the top of their list so the visa isn't a problem. Hairdressers are the top occupation I believe (for Aus by the way).
              What about mid-fortish computer programmer who can do carpentry? I also tinker with cars...but its your decision whether I fix them or not.
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                I think its about C$1 a litre..about £0.45. And they are complaining!

They have the oil sands in Alberta which allegedly has more oil than saudi. But its costs a fortune to get at it. 'course now its worth it.
                why dont you move up to scotland, we have lots of oil, in fact we will be one of the richest countries in the world once we get rid of the appendage

Comment

I love London...and would love to live down there. Wife hates it (she's a bit racist). But if I could sell my first born to get a house...I'd definitly go.
                  I'm the opposite. I live in central London and hate the dump, mostly because of all the foreigners and tourists, but also the traffic and problems parking. I'd much rather live somewhere like Bath or Worcester, or even Cornwall.

But then it would be a sod to find local contracts and I'd spend the week B&Bing it at vast expense and inconvenience, and probably commuting into London anyway!

Comment

I think its about C$1 a litre..about £0.45. And they are complaining!

They have the oil sands in Alberta which allegedly has more oil than saudi. But its costs a fortune to get at it. 'course now its worth it.
                    why dont you move up to scotland, we have lots of oil, in fact we will be one of the richest countries in the world once we get rid of the appendage

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                      I'm the opposite. I live in central London and hate the dump, mostly because of all the foreigners and tourists, but also the traffic and problems parking. I'd much rather live somewhere like Bath or Worcester, or even Cornwall.

But then it would be a sod to find local contracts and I'd spend the week B&Bing it at vast expense and inconvenience, and probably commuting into London anyway!
                      I hate it here...for various reasons...the main one being that there are no foreigners (aside from the ones in the ghettos) and tourists. I truely am bored. There would also be a LOT more work for me. I struggle now with bits and bats of work...mostly for a single client. I doubt I'll crack £30,000, or even £20,000 income this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X