• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Xenophobic - South Africa?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The term scapegoat suggests these people are being blamed for problems not of their making.

I cannot say I have looked into it, but the idea that very large numbers of unemployed and destitute people can pour into a country and NOT cause significant problems for an already poor indigenous population sounds a little far fetched.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

President Thabo Mbeki said he would set up a panel of experts to investigate the violence.
      Isn't he one of the main culprits in discouraging any intervention or even criticism by African leaders against Robert Mugabe over the last few years? And it's largely his megalomania and arrogant idiocy that's caused the refugee crisis in SA. Talk about chickens coming home to roost.

P.S. I've never heard even the saintly Nelson Mandela mention Zimbabwe. Seems like the kind of thing the press would report if he had.
      Last edited by Marina; 19 May 2008, 17:35.

Comment

Effective Policing

Well it appears that effective policing might sort it out

http://www.mg.co.za/ContentImages/339611/police.jpg
        Last edited by sunnysan; 19 May 2008, 18:53. Reason: Want to insert image
        There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
          And it's largely his megalomania and arrogant idiocy that's caused the refugee crisis in SA. Talk about chickens coming home to roost.
          Gee I must have missed the bit where Mbeki "caused the refugee crisis in SA" How exactly did he do that?

Mbeki may be an idealist and out of touch. A megalomaniac he is not.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Gee I must have missed the bit where Mbeki "caused the refugee crisis in SA" How exactly did he do that?

Mbeki may be an idealist and out of touch. A megalomaniac he is not.
            I think Marina meant Mugabe was the megalomaniac.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Link I was going to say that It would appear to be be working as a policy, but some may see that as insensitive
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Link I was going to say that It would appear to be be working as a policy, but some may see that as insensitive
                You carry on mate. The world is a tough old place and no amount of Political correctness will change that

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I would agree that Mbeki's failure to take the lead in any effective action against Mugabe was a lot to do with it. The damage, in terms of the way this affects worldwide attitudes to Africa and probably to blacks generally, goes much wider than that.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    So... who's planning to visit for the 2010 Football World Cup?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      I would agree that Mbeki's failure to take the lead in any effective action against Mugabe was a lot to do with it. The damage, in terms of the way this affects worldwide attitudes to Africa and probably to blacks generally, goes much wider than that.
                      Can't fault your post. Only mitigation I can think of is Mbeki obviously finds it difficult to criticise/take action against someone that played an active supporting/financial role in helping him during his time in exile.

Comment

Working...
                      X