• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tornado in Brum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charitable Donations for Birmingham - PLEASE HELP

As you are probably aware, last week, a serious tornado hit parts of
    southern Birmingham,

News of the disaster was swiftly carried to the civilised world by
    pay-as-you go SMS messages. Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly
    muttering 'blooooodyell' and 'yourite?'. The tornado decimated the area
    causing several pounds worth of damage. Several priceless collections of
    mementos from the Balearics and Spanish Costa's were damaged beyond repair.
    Several historic Ford Sierras and Nissan Bluebirds were blown off there brick
    plinths. A large number of 3 series BMW's had there alloy wheels damaged and
    a quantity of Renault Clio's had there tinted windows blown out. Many locals
    were woken well before their giro arrived.

One resident, Sharon Knowles, a 15yr old single mother of seven said: "It
    was such a shock, my little Beyonce came running into my bedroom
    crying. My youngest two, Azif and Delbert slept through it all. I was still
    shaking when I was watching Trisha the next morning".

Another resident, Community worker Royston Akimose, 38, said: "I was 'avin'
    a meetin' wiv a business associate, the sky went dark, an, de next fing I
    know, me ganj is blown all over 'is Impreza!"

Apparently though, looting and car crime did carry on as normal. The British
    Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of sunny delight to the
    area to help the stricken locals. Rescue workers are still searching through
    the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, which
    include benefit books, jewellery from Elizabeth Duke at Argos and bone china
    from Pound Stretcher.

How Can You Help?

This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing parcels for those
    unfortunate enough to be caught up in the disaster. Clothing is most sought
    after, items needed include: Fila or Burberry baseball caps; Kappa tracksuit
    tops (his & hers); Von Dutch t-Shirts; White sports socks; Rockport boots; Any large gold plated accessories.

Food parcels may be harder to come by, but are needed all the same. Required foodstuffs include microwave meals, tins of baked beans, ice cream, and bottles of Smirnoff Ice. 22p buys a biro for filling in the compensation
    forms, £2.00 buys fish, chips & blue fizzy drinks for a family of 9, and
    £5.00 will pay for a packet of B&H and a lighter to calm the nerves of those
    affected. Please do not send tents for shelter, as the sight of posh housing
    is unfair on the population in neighbouring areas.

Please help – do all you can to help these poor people in this time of need.

Comment

Reports are coming in this morning that stocks of scratch cards are now dangerously low and this has lead to panic buying.

One survivor of the tornado said “ I remember the great power cut back in 2001 when the lottery terminals would not work – this is much worse – we are dying here….” Another said “The government should declare this a disaster zone and provide us with free scratch cards” It is our basic human right.

Copies of the Birmingham Post, which is currently carrying a bingo scratch card game are reported to be changing hands on the black market for £10 were discounted when a Post spokesman said “There was a tie breaker question – and this seems to have put a large number of people off”
      www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Thanks wxman, I had a look at your photos. The hailstones look pretty deadly. (I did read the Nat Geo report on 7 inch stones, but I guess they are rare). I guess that carbon fibre webbing stretched over a metal frame suspending above the vehicle is the only way to go

Comment

On a serious note - there is only one way around the hail core issue and it to avoid it!

Sure I have seen conversions that that involve sheilds over the windscreen - but I have also seen a foot deep of golf ball sized hail covering the road- which is imposible to drive through!

PS Thunderstorms possible again this Friday in the South UK....
          Last edited by wxman; 9 August 2005, 16:28.

Comment

Originally posted by wxman

PS Thunderstorms possible again this Friday in the South UK....
            Great! Just when I'm flying to Europe for the weekend...
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The South Wales Evening Post is unfortunately “out to lunch” with that statement! The Brum tornado actually formed just North of the M42 ….

However the “triple point” (weather talk for a pinch point or convergence of air masses) did indeed track from the South Wales area across the midlands. Mind you the upper air jet stream winds (which were required for tornado gneisses) could be considered to have travelled across Alaska – so perhaps the Anchor Daily Echo would like to pipe up and run a piece as well !?!

I am currently involved in a C4 production about the three tornados that occurred that day – as well as other in the past – hopefully it will be in air Early October if not sooner!

FYI I once bounced Cheri Blare of the top slot on Richard and Judy during Hurricane Ivan in Sep 2004 – mind you that is not real claim to fame but I enjoyed it at the time!

Back to my contract for now ….

Comment

Working...
              X