• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time/Tiny are no more

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time/Tiny are no more

It looks like the Time & Tiny names are no more, their parent company Granville Technology Group have shut up shop:

BBC site

Good riddance I say - perhaps schools will now buy from my clients and me instead of the 'big' names.
    Discuss PDA/Smartphones
    Yeovil Town FC - the real green & whites

I thought Tiny went bust in 2001.

I have an extremely embarrassing confession to make...I once bought a machine from Tiny. My only excuse, I was young and out shopping with my mother and aunt.

I'll get my coat.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Tiny did go bust. Time, who I understood made most of their kit anyway, bought the name.

I see a sales opportunity. A lot of schools in my area have Time or Tiny kit. Kerching!
      Discuss PDA/Smartphones

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Cleared the entire building.
        As has the management of Time!
        Discuss PDA/Smartphones

Comment

Bought my first pc in the UK from Time, old p75. Was happy with it till about year later when i decided to upgrade...and discovered they had welded every bloody component to the motherboard

So think understandably happy to see the end of them

Comment

I had to deal with one guy's failed computer that he bought from Tiny (or Time? they looked the same to me) -- AFAIK they used really cheap bad components and their support line was like £1 per minute!

One thing is for sure -- Dixons are celebrating as Tiny attempted to take a whack on Dixonc's high street monopoly -- in most shopping centers I was in I could hardly find anybody else selling computer related gear apart from Dixons.

Oh well, not like I would buy anything in Dixons now!

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
              they had welded every bloody component to the motherboard
              That is very interesting. Soldering is usually good enough. Perhaps you purchased a military (hostile environment) version.

Comment

I take it they will miraculously rise from the ashes again but without any of those pesky warranties to honour? see also: "Carerra".
                All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Comment

They have IIRC gone out of business twice now and the latest time didnt even miss a single edition of advertising in the computer magazines before starting up again. My sis bought a faulty pc off them and spent months trying to get them to fix it and then trying to return it when still faulty. She ended up getting hold of a directors mobile phone number somehow and he still fobbed her off for another month or so, basically a long drawn out nightmare until she got her CC company involved and luckily got her money back a month before they went out of business leaving a few customers in the lurch warranty and order wise.

I imagine the company is now in the name of the last owners brother or wife or some kind of shenanigans
                  All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Comment

Read comments from BBC:

"I work for the Computer Shop which is the retail outlet for the company. We have been left totally in the dark as to what is going on. All the directors have left. We don't know if we are going to get paid or not. We have families to feed and mortgages to pay. If we do not get paid on Friday I don't know what I am going to do.
                    Anonymous, Wales

I have been affected by the job losses at Time, I have worked for the company for 5 years and 3 months in total and I was informed of my job loss by text message. I have no idea if I will be able to pay my mortgage on Monday as pay has not been confirmed. My chances of keeping my house are completely shattered.
                    Manager, Middlesbrough "

--

WTF, manager and counts 100% on this months paycheck?!?!?!

Comment

Working...
                    X