• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Playing the drums

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I was in a band with a drummer who was a bass player normally who just fancied having a go. He didn't do anything fancy, but he kept time well and we actually sounded okay.

Then we got another drummer, who really was a drummer but had never played in a band before, and he'd try and do fancy fills and end up losing time. As a result we sounded tulipe.
    yeah that's my opinion.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Drumming is easy, provided you can hold a beat in your head and can "feel" the bars in a piece of music (for example, do you know when to come in after the silences in "Make Me Smile"?). To be good at it, you need to be able to do different things with both hands an your feet.

To be Ginger Baker, you need to be able to hold a 5/8 rhythm using both feet on two bass drums, a paradiddle with the left hand, a solo pattern with the right and somehow (God knows how) add a cymbal roll, all at the same time - 'cos that's what he's doing three minutes from the end of "Badge"

I never recovered from "Wipeout" myself - 64 bars of paradiddle while the rest of the band had fun...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
      X