• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lucky Escapes!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I once had a really close shave. My skin felt smooth as a baby.
    HTH
    I had a shave by a proper old-fashioned barber once. He used a cut-throat blade. I said (predictably) 'you won't cut me with that, will you?'. He replied that he would not.

2 nasty knicks.

Winker.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Could it be anything else?
      Nope.
      That boy go raaaaaaa
      Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

I once had a curry but I made it home in time!

Comment

I was about 13 or 14 and regularly cycled the 4 miles to school and back.

My home was on a road running past the Rootes Group (now ex-Peugeot) factory and was regularly busy with cars and car transporters.The route I came home from school meant that I had to stop in the middle of the road to turn right to reach the alleyway next to my house.

It was a late november evening and darkness had fallen when I reached the point where I turned right and I positioned myself in the middle of the road to turn right to my house.

What I had forgotten was that though my bike had lights, my front light was one of those dynamo lights which was powered by a friction wheel turned by pressing against my rear wheel. So, when I stopped (in the middle of the road, remember), my front light obligingly went out, and at that very instant I saw this car transporter coming at speed up the road.

I didn't think that I was in much danger because I have very good night sight, though I was surprised to see my Mum and Dad frantically waving at me from the front garden and I didn't realise why.

The situation was somewhat complicated by the fact that at that point, my road takes a very slight turn to the left and it was rare that cars stayed exactly on their own side of the road.

The car transporter missed me by inches. Of course I didn't realise how difficult it must have been for the transporter driver to see me because I was wearing a dark duffle coat.

Needless to say I had to go to school on the bus until I got a battery-powered headlight for my bike.
          It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Kathy wins....definitely !

My own tale...

Went to Chalkwell in Southend-On-Sea when I was 8.

It has these large concrete wave breakers that extend from the shore out in to the sea. At the end is a pole with a triangular sign.

So I legged it down the partially submerged breaker, expecting to grab the pole at the end.

Except that there is a 3-4 foot gap between the pole and the end of the breaker.

Splosh...down I went, drowning, the works.

Luckily there was a lad in his 20's next to the pole, who grabbed me and hauled me on to the breaker.

Closest I ever came to drowning.

Since there, just to be different, I've loved the water and learned scuba and snorkelling. I always feel in control in the water these days, and I have no fear of it.

The other was freewheeling down a hill on my Raleigh Chopper when I was 16. Carrier bag on the handlebars went <jam> in to the spokes of the front wheel. Up and over the handlebars, and skidded (sans bike) 5 metres along the tarmac, face first. Severely grazed face, broken teeth, sprained wrists. I turned up the next day for a school trip looking like the elephant man and scared everybody. (My mum didn't believe in missing school unless you were dead)
            Last edited by Board Game Geek; 24 April 2008, 19:24.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
              I was about 13 or 14

Sorry, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get past that.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I had a shave by a proper old-fashioned barber once. He used a cut-throat blade. I said (predictably) 'Mr Todd, you won't cut me with that, will you?'. He cut my fkin head off. Bstard.

Comment

I was once (Feb 14 2008) feeding timber into a big power saw.............

Oh yeh!
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

When I was 9 or 10 I fell in some sinking mud in a field that was wet with rain that they were digging up for the foundations, I was stuck there with my rubber wellington boots.

Some kids got their mother to me and she pulled me out of the mud but in doing so I got a twisted testical.

I had to be rushed to accident and emergency for an operation and now- to this day - one ball is lower than the other ..

(true story and I worry about how I actually managed to twist it.. I just cannot remember ... didn't know the human body was so vunerable.).

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
                      My home was on a road running past the Rootes Group (now ex-Peugeot) factory and was regularly busy with cars and car transporters.The route I came home from school meant that I had to stop in the middle of the road to turn right to reach the alleyway next to my house.
                      Next time you visit the parents Kathy, for everyones sake, I think its best if I take you up the back alley

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X