• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oops - wrong man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyDown
    And after all that, and idiot like AtW comes along and says:
    Sandy you persistent name calling only reflects badly on you. If you think its okay to run away in tube from armed police next day after terrorists attacks took place then its fine by me.

Comment

If police suspected that he had a bomb - why they let him use a bus?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexExFTV
        Good question - it is possible they suspected he may use the bomb in case of being captured rather than just to blow everyone up: don't think he had racksack and thus bomb would not be that heavy on the bus, but would in confined space of tube.

Comment

I think it is stupid to take any position without an exact confirmation of the facts, which only the police exactly knows. It just shows the prejudices we have in our mind (the police is always right, the police is always wrong) and certainly is not a sign of a well functioning brain.

If there was enough evidence and suspicious behaviour of the person, if the police identified themselves quite clearly, if and only if, then the police did the right thing as instructed in their manual.

What would be the reaction of the crowd if the suspect was actually a suicide bomber and the police didn't manage to stop him and he killed 50 people? Would it be another case of "too lenient and humanistic" Britain?

By the way, we have been thaught since we are children that it's not a wise idea to escape armed men unless you are at a reasonable long distance. So yes, in principle the guy did not have a brilliant idea, whether they were policemen or gangsters.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexExFTV
            Why let him leave his house at all?

ATW, you see you are trying to ignore everything that came before he ran.

They were watching his house (thus had to know his name,nationality and probably a lot more)
            They followed him to the tube station
            They followed him into the station, down the escalator and on to the train

At any point if he had a bomb he could have detonated it
            At any point they could have shot him

But what they did was was wait till he had two officers on top of him (who would have felt any bomb on him at this point) before putting not one, not two but five bullets into his head at point blank range.

That is not the action of "in control" police officers but overanxious poorly trained gun happy ones.

If police are going to stop acting like police and acting more like US marines in Iraq then just give us the originals, they at least would shoot while he was still in house thus stopping any potencial damage to the transport network.

The ONLY thing that could somewhat "justify" (use that term very loosely) their actions is what intel was given to these officers, if they were told he definatly was a terrorist, he definatly was carrying a bomb then they would be somewhat in the clear but then the inteligence officers should be in the dock for the equivilent of manslaughter, as them doing their jobs so badly got an innocent man killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
              I think it is stupid to take any position without an exact confirmation of the facts,
              It is known (witneesses in train) that he did run and was chased by the police.

If you want to advocate people's right to run away when challenged by armed police, then I would not be able to agree with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
                At any point if he had a bomb he could have detonated it
                Terrorists can have two types of bombs:
                1) to kill as many people around them - racksacks etc, dont think he had it, would be hard to run and police won't let him leave house in this case
                2) small bomb to kill themselves and few more around them incase of capture or something like that -- this won't be used until person is sure he is captured

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Terrorists can have two types of bombs:
                  1) to kill as many people around them - racksacks etc, dont think he had it, would be hard to run and police won't let him leave house in this case
                  2) small bomb to kill themselves and few more around them incase of capture or something like that -- this won't be used until person is sure he is captured
                  You watch to many movies ATW

And if it was 2 (unlikely outside of movies) why try to capture him in a crowded confined area?

Know what this smells of to me?

Police had some mild (mistaken) reason to think he was a bomber

They saw him leave wearing a heavy jacket for the weather (hope they never have cause to suspect me as is something i do regularly)

They saw him enter a tube station

Police panicked

Innocent man died as result.

End of story

Comment

He was told to stop -- he did not, he actively run away so much that he jumpted over ticket barriers -- all the suspicions police had quadrupled at this point, and since he kept running over quiet a long stretch they had to do what they did.

The guy was a fool, and the police did their job.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                      If you want to advocate people's right to run away when challenged by armed police, then I would not be able to agree with it.
                      I advocate anyones right to run from armed people in ordinary clothes, with no badges on display or uniforms who just happen to be shouting "police".

Anyone can shout police, hell if i ever was someone wanting to shoot up a place and kill loads of people, i would shout police just to cause extra confusion and get some more kills from the fools who stand there thinking i am really a cop.

Comment

Working...
                      X