• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People with rucksacks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WageSlave
    As a white male, of Anglo-Saxon stock, looking reasonably respectable and harmless, why should my carrying a rucksack elicit suspicion?
    Yes, chill people, not every rucksack is a bomb.. if I had a pound for each time I got a "I hope he's not getting my bus" look today, I would be a rich man

Comment

If you stopped all people with rucksacks or any large bag getting on the tube or bus, you'd be turning a lot of people away.

There's a lot of people who'd be visiting for a day, with possible a change of clothes, something work related, even people who plan to pop to the gym at lunchtime. Not to mention the large number of tourists.

What AtW is suggesting would send a message to the bombers that they've won. It's not a sign of weakness to admit you are scared of being blown up on the tube, but we've got to show that the spirit that took us through the 2nd World War is still there.

It's easy for me to say that, being 120 miles away from the bombings, but if I had to work in London, I'd be using the tube. Furthermore, it will start to affect more of us. The higher the security is stepped up on the tube, the more likely that bombings will start in towns outside the capital, where it would be much easier to bomb, say, a shopping centre or bus station.
      Discuss PDA/Smartphones
      Yeovil Town FC - the real green & whites

Comment

I think the way to explain it to people who are worried is this: in the two weeks from the 7th July, there have been eight terrorist attacks on London's public transport. In that time approximately 40 million people have been carried. Of those only 56 have died in those terrorist attacks. Lottery winning odds. You are more likely to die of natural causes within the next seven days than be a fatality of a terrorist attack in London.

Comment

It really must be awful for those British Asians who have made every effort to fit in to be treated with such suspicion.

Here is my tip. Show your Britishness by demonstrating that you have acquired the British taste for zany self-deprecating humour. On the tube, wear a big black rucksack with red wires coming out leading into a matchbox in the pocket of your unseasonably thick anorack. Sweat a lot (you will find the anorack helps) and finger the matchbox nervously.

When the security forces shoot at you, say loudly "Wassa marra? can't you take a joke?" You will find your fellow passengers warm to you in no time.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by dazza12
            What AtW is suggesting would send a message to the bombers that they've won.
            Well, one has to be reasonable, I think carrying rucksacks right now in London is not wise thing to do.

Comment

That don't make sense. Attache cases, laptop cases etc can just as easily carry bombs. Actually I'd think an Asian bloke with a big rucksack would be the last to suspect. Too obvious. It could be a double bluff of course.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                That don't make sense.
                Its psychological -- people remembered word rucksack and will look at you as a potential bomber, if you happen to non-white. Its not a question of counter-terrorist efficiency, its a question of whether you are comfortable standing in crowded tube train with a rucksack and catch people's looks. Or perhaps if you have racksuck then people will make you room?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Its psychological -- people remembered word rucksack and will look at you as a potential bomber, if you happen to non-white. Its not a question of counter-terrorist efficiency, its a question of whether you are comfortable standing in crowded tube train with a rucksack and catch people's looks. Or perhaps if you have racksuck then people will make you room?

OK what if it gets a bit chilly, should we stop wearing our coats, the poor stockwell guy was killed because he had a winter coat on...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                    It really must be awful for those British Asians who have made every effort to fit in to be treated with such suspicion.

Here is my tip. Show your Britishness by demonstrating that you have acquired the British taste for zany self-deprecating humour. On the tube, wear a big black rucksack with red wires coming out leading into a matchbox in the pocket of your unseasonably thick anorack. Sweat a lot (you will find the anorack helps) and finger the matchbox nervously.

When the security forces shoot at you, say loudly "Wassa marra? can't you take a joke?" You will find your fellow passengers warm to you in no time.

very funny, may be they should all wear jumpers with Union Jacks .. or perhaps should carry a union jack/St George's flag everywhere they go.... deary me , but this may make them a sitting duck for those terrorists who would think these union jack carriers are traitors....

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
                      OK what if it gets a bit chilly, should we stop wearing our coats, the poor stockwell guy was killed because he had a winter coat on...
                      Banning racksacks is not a solution, what I am talking about is that non-white people with racksacks now should expect to get a look or two, it is up to the individual to decide whether they might be better off not carrying racksack for sometime just in case.

Comment

Working...
                      X