• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

having a blonde moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

having a blonde moment

Sorry guys, there is one thing I just cannot understand: how can retrospective legislation be valid?

Let's at date A, you are doing something that is not illegal. At date B in the future, legislation is passed that make that particular thing illegal. How can it be right that you are then being pursued for doing it when it was legal? How can that be right? I don't understand! Anybody can enlighten me? Thanks!

Rebecca
    Chico, what time is it?

Gosh... the worst ones... the brunettes-outside, blondes-inside....
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

How can it be right to pass a law making it illegal for citizens to visit another country and do something perfectly legal in the host country but against British law? Should Americans from non gambling states be jailed for visiting Vegas?
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Do you have a particular bit of legislation in mind Beccs?

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
          How can it be right to pass a law making it illegal for citizens to visit another country and do something perfectly legal in the host country but against British law? Should Americans from non gambling states be jailed for visiting Vegas?

You'd accept a back-dated payrise, wouldn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod
            You'd accept a back-dated payrise, wouldn't you?
            Of course. That would be a reward. Can't quite see the connection with retrospective legislation
            Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Do you have a particular bit of legislation in mind Beccs?

No (!) - I am just wondering about it in general, as a legal principle.
              Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I'm intrigued, what is this we are talking about?

Oh cross posts.

Sorry Bex you have to be specific. I suspect that you are thinging of changes brought about by case law. As you say, it really ought to be impossible to make something retrospectively illegal by statute.

tim
                Last edited by tim123; 21 July 2005, 13:51.

Comment

Isnt there some tax law that was passed recently that is retrospective?

Mailman

Comment

Guess away!

OK, seriously: let's say that you are working and paying your taxes as per legislation at a given date.
                    Then the IR changes the rules (note: it is not a re-interpretation of existing laws I am talking about, but a change in the law itself) and decides that it will be retroactively applied. If you are caught by the new rules, for a period where it was legal, surely that can be challenged?!
                    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X