• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

having a blonde moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid not Rebecca...

if the government brings in a law that people shorter than 5' 8'' must pay a tax retrospectively for the last 300 years then that's the law.

I actually think that such a law is a good idea

Where you have a chance, is when it contradicts another law.

By the way what did they change?
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 21 July 2005, 14:00.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
      if the government brings in a law that people shorter than 5' 8'' must pay a tax retrospectively for the last 300 years then that's the law.
      Sounds good to me
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
        I'm afraid not Rebecca...

I actually think that such a law is a good idea

Where you have a chance, is when it contradicts another law.

By the way what did they change?

Quite agree, if the government brings in any law there's nothing you can do about it, unless of course it contradict other laws e.g. human rights /european or international laws etc.. else it is just an internal law and anyone living in that county have to abide by it.

Comment

But there is something you can do about it. It's covered by the HRA. Sorry Becks it has to be more complicated than you suggest!

Tim

Comment

I am not disputing the ability of governments to implement new laws - just that retroactivity is not on!

What if they bring a new law that says you are not allowed to use rude words on a bulletin board. Can they then charge any of us for having been rude in the past? Surely not, as it was not illegal when we did it!

Retroactivity surely goes against any right we have!
            Chico, what time is it?

Comment

..well as a matter of East Germans have ended up being prosecuted for crimes that were committed, when what they did was "legal" under the old regime.

..so I'm afraid Beccs
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
                What if they bring a new law that says you are not allowed to use rude words on a bulletin board. Can they then charge any of us for having been rude in the past? Surely not, as it was not illegal when we did it!
                Watch what you say. Soon our great verbless leader will make thought crime against NL punishable by death.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
                  OK, as Chico is not responding to this I shall .. so excuse me :-)

<Chico mode>
                  The law is written in our hearts, if there have never been any law produced by any government telling us it is illegal to kill, we know and we have always knew that killing another human being is wrong. If there was never any law telling us that stealing is wrong, we know in our hearts that stealing is wrong …… most of us were created with this self monitoring tool….. so if someone committed murder before the government passed on the law against murder or stealing don’t you think they should be punished for their crimes even if there was no law at the time saying you shouldn’t kill your brother??

Now substitute the word stealing or the word killing with the word paying tax and you get the picture…

</ Chico mode>

Comment

Sandy, what if I feel it's perfectly acceptable to dangle my willy in the local Tesco?

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
                      Sandy, what if I feel it's perfectly acceptable to dangle my willy in the local Tesco?

In a moment of insanity you may think its right, but have your daughter or your wife/sister standing next to you when you are doing it.. then you'll instantly know its not right

Comment

Working...
                      X