• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offer accepted....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are bothering to buy a house?

When you become permie you'll be expected to live at the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      Large 4 bed detached in Wilmslow for £275k

Where's that then?

You're looking at £400k minimum for that.

You are funny!
      It's in the suburbs, just outside Wilmslow. Finart in Scotland
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
        Why is this your problem. It is normal to make it a condition of sale that the house is empty of junk.

tim
        I've bought many a house that was stacked high with junk. One place the cellar was so full of decaying crap decided it was easier to reopen the coal scuttle and drag line it out, I kid you not.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Where's that then?

You are funny!
          It's an ex-council house in Wythenshawe...

Comment

Where's that then?

You are funny!
            Alf – Summerfields.

Yes, I know, but it is a nice 4 bed detached in a quiet cul-de-sac, and only 10 mins walk to the train station through Wilmslow park.

Plan is to gut the rubbish, live with things, gradually improve, then take a nice long time on the market to move to something more me.

Gives me a good project to get my teeth into.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              Alf – Somerfields.

Yes, I know, but it is a nice 4 bed detached in a quiet car-park, and only 1 mins walk to the bargain section of the supermarket.
              Fixed.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Another reason I like this large house compared to my 2 bed semi is that I can easily rent out at least 2 bedrooms in the future – I plan to return to contracting after my current projects comes to an end. Yes, I know it is an extreme way to stick to a site, but, considering the very high salary plus things like pension and all of that, needs must in these uncertain times. (I would be happy working away from home, hence happy to take lodgers doing the same thing as I would be doing mid-week).

Lets just say that I have had a few offers of work lately, but I am actually financially better off on the permie salary than the daily rates that have been put my way.

Would love to fast forward 5 years and see how things go in the housing and job markets!

Comment

Would love to fast forward 5 years and see how things go in the housing and job markets!
                  No need. You can get all the answers you need on the future of housing and job markets from this board.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Another reason I like this large house compared to my 2 bed semi is that I can easily rent out at least 2 bedrooms in the future
                    If possible, convert the house to 2 flats and rent one out to help pay the mortgage whilst living in the other.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                      If possible, convert the house to 2 flats and rent one out to help pay the mortgage whilst living in the other.
                      What will you do if you cannot sell th old place? do you have a contingency plan? - like withdrawing the offer?

Comment

Working...
                      X