• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid use of technology rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Fixed price deal to bring in the solution.

Oracle -> Other consultancy -> Client

Problem was with the first phase of development, which was budgeted at about £5 million and Oracle took £15 million. Meant that all that the consultancy could spend on the next bit was £300k. It was undoubtedly cheaper than that, but that's all that they offered us to build the all singing, all dancing solution to integrate web front end to messaging hub to back office and back again.
    I'd do it forra fiver.

Comment

Problem was with the first phase of development, which was budgeted at about £5 million and Oracle took £15 million. Meant that all that the consultancy could spend on the next bit was £300k. It was undoubtedly cheaper than that, but that's all that they offered us to build the all singing, all dancing solution to integrate web front end to messaging hub to back office and back again.
      Oracle is a rip off. Just like Sun.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Yeah, Larry should just give it away. Like SKA

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Yeah, Larry should just give it away. Like SKA
          Have you seen how they were pricing it? By power-units ffs, so if you got more powerful machine you have to pay more, wtf? It's like tax effectively.

Comment

Have you seen how they were pricing it? By power-units ffs, so if you got more powerful machine you have to pay more, wtf? It's like tax effectively.
            Not everything is priced like that. Some products, if not all, are available on a per user basis or per concurrent user basis.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Not everything is priced like that. Some products, if not all, are available on a per user basis or per concurrent user basis.
              Yes this is true. I would not go Oracle route however, not least because I much prefer T-SQL (good old Sybase and MS SQL), but for the kind of prices they charge I would not use Oracle at all, I'd rather save this money and put them into something useful, sorry Oracle DBAs...

Comment

Oracle took £15 million
                No doubt it's a government project then, where they throw money down black holes like Gazza does kebabs?

15 million for a database.

You even need to use a Toad to administer it as Oracle's own tools are absolute tulipe.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  No doubt it's a government project then, where they throw money down black holes like Gazza does kebabs?

Bazza like

Comment

If you ask them nicely Sun will do you some very good deals on hardware. We are in the process of getting some serious kit for not much wonga.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                      If you ask them nicely Sun will do you some very good deals on hardware. We are in the process of getting some serious kit for not much wonga.
                      They are desperate now for revenues.

Comment

Working...
                      X