• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bankers cannot have it both ways

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    IMO 75% should be maximum mortgague advance by law - still higher than the 60% in Germany.
    Just why on Earth they used gross income for calculation of how much to lend? Clearly even if just taxation is taken into acccount then people will have different disposable income from which they pay morgage? I would have understood the gross calculation if morgage payments were tax free, but they ain't. The disaster was just waiting to happen and I don't think we have seen anything yet.

Comment

the banking system cannot be allowed to do whatever it might like without interference. It cannot have it both ways - complete freedom of action in pursuit of profits - and taxpayer support to cushion losses.

taken from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...31/ccom131.xml

Looks like bankers need a taste of their own medicine to me.
      Not until I spread my savings across multiple accounts...

Warning! You savings may not be safe!

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Naturally the price for this would be tens of thousands jobs lost in the City, but I am sure the whole country will their hearts bleeding for them.
        slightly

But not all of those people will be traders on ridiculous salary bonus schemes though will they? A lot of it will be back & middle office peeps on small(er) salaries.

The outlook for Essex doesn't look good.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          A lot of it will be back & middle office peeps on small(er) salaries.
          True. However these people were taking part (knowingly or not) in a big scam, it is only fair they face the consequences of it even though obviously these people are not the most guilty party in this but you simply can't expect a sustainable job of a coder supporting exotic derivatives tulip that is now causing big losses.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            True. However these people were taking part (knowingly or not) in a big scam, it is only fair they face the consequences of it even though obviously these people are not the most guilty party in this but you simply can't expect a sustainable job of a coder supporting exotic derivatives tulip that is now causing big losses.
            never worked in derivatives but I was asked to develop a database module that targeted the poor and gullible for a finance company based in Leeds. I did it but did not accept an extension, I still feel v bad about the whole thing

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Flippin' heck - it must have been verging on the criminal to tweak a contractor's conscience!
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Flippin' heck - it must have been verging on the criminal to tweak a contractor's conscience!
                It WAS criminal

just not against the law

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  "conscience" - does not compute - do you have a definition please?

Comment

"conscience" - does not compute - do you have a definition please?
                    There you go.

It's all Greek to me.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X