• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sterilise parents on benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    This isn't controversial at all, is it?

If you can't support yourself or a family, you shouldn't be having a family, regardless of where you're from.

And yet, somehow, this simple message just doesn't get through.

and what if you are a good mother with children, married for many years with nice 2 cars/4 bed house, whose husband suddenly takes off with his business or salary and his latest blonde, thus forcing the mother onto benefits and into social housing. Should she be sterilised too? Or should he be before he leaves blonde number 2 in exactly the same position?

At what point should they be sterilised? A month after redundancy or perhaps a car accident? Three months? Six? As soon as the 'thank you for your services to our company, good luck in the future' letter arrives?

How do you define - as you are all in god (or Nazi) mode - what is a good parent and what is a bad parent - and is this directly related to income band as many here seem to think?

Bear in mind that sterilisation is still not a guarenteed 100% reversal (in fact, it's not that successful to reverse at all, iirc).
    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      An orange Focus ST?
      He part ex'ed it on an A3
      Last edited by Diver; 25 March 2008, 12:50.
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
        and what if you are a good mother with children, married for many years with nice 2 cars/4 bed house, whose husband suddenly takes off with his business or salary and his latest blonde, thus forcing the mother onto benefits and into social housing. Should she be sterilised too? Or should he be before he leaves blonde number 2 in exactly the same position?

At what point should they be sterilised? A month after redundancy or perhaps a car accident? Three months? Six? As soon as the 'thank you for your services to our company, good luck in the future' letter arrives?

How do you define - as you are all in god (or Nazi) mode - what is a good parent and what is a bad parent - and is this directly related to income band as many here seem to think?

Bear in mind that sterilisation is still not a guarenteed 100% reversal (in fact, it's not that successful to reverse at all, iirc).
        We are talking of unwed mothers, usually in their teens who see getting preggers as a means to getting a council house and benefits.

HTH

Comment

why not take the family court definition? women are good parents, men are bad parents.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            why not take the family court definition? women are good parents, men are bad parents.
            Don't you start again.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Don't you start again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                I prefer James Wales's idea whereby everybody is sterilised at birth and they have to apply to the state to have it reversed when they have grown into a responsible adult, have a job, enough resources to support themselves and wish to get married and have a family.

No more unwanted children would ever again be brought into the world, and no children would be born purely to rake in benefits at the expense of the hard-working taxpayer. Utopia!!
                Or to put it another way - no children would be born to people that the government didn't approve of.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I don't think you'll find me advocating sterilisation anywhere in my posts. The above point is a good one though. Complicated to answer too - and I'm not sure any non-parent could fully answer that either.

For me it's about attitude - the attitude to work, and take responsibility for your family, and provide for their needs, by your own means, and to take pride in doing so. It's about taking responsibility for your surroundings, your environment, your community, and making a practical contribution. It's about being disciplined, upright and faithful, being of good character, having integrity.

In the above case, in a functioning community, the community itself would support the abandoned, and the infirm. I accept that this ideal relies on a fair few characteristics that seem to have died out in many places.

Comment

The point is that once the husband has run off and she has no means to pay for another child she shouldn't (and I very much doubt that she would in the case you describe) go out and get preggars!!

I remember a few years ago my wife telling me that in the playground in the school she was working she had heard one of the mothers tell her daughter:

"You'll be 16 soon then you can go out, get yourself pregnant and get your own house on the social"

It is people like this that should be stopped from breeding. How would it be done in a fair way? I doubt it could, the easiest option is to just not pay them any benefits so that there is no benefit to them doing it but that would be against their human rights, and won't somebody think of the poor child....

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                      We are talking of unwed mothers, usually in their teens who see getting preggers as a means to getting a council house and benefits.
                      HTH
                      My sister was a mother in her teens, her 'wonderful boyfriend' lost his job, then another, then another, then her, then he went downward into drugs etc. He didn't drag her, or their children with him, thank <chosen diety>. She was and still is in social housing. She is now a qualified midwife - which has taken her four years of study AND shiftwork, and juggling childcare. I'm proud of her, and she's doing more for society than you.

You however would have had her lined up at gunpoint with 'the rest of them', written off as beneath you. True?

HTH
                      Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
                      X