• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police Harassment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And this exactly how relates to independence of UK courts from the executive and legislative branches?
    Ok it doesn't, but it does illustrate that the courts can be "persuaded" to give the desired result regardless of evidence presented.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      And this exactly how relates to independence of UK courts from the executive and legislative branches?
      Are you trying to turn into Chico?

"Mr Monks was told 5 months before his court appearance that he would be going down and indeed on standing in court was unable to present any evidence to defend himself before being sent down."

This is against Magna Carta. If the courts cannot implement legislation then the government/executive(I agree we seem to be moving to a USA style system) should remove them. prefrably using the army.

And yes, I do know the Russia has millions of such cases etcetc.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Ok it doesn't, but it does illustrate that the courts can be "persuaded" to give the desired result regardless of evidence presented.
        That's an isolate example which does not show systemic problem.

I don't know even full details of the case to draw a good conclusion - for all I know this "on standing in court was unable to present any evidence to defend himself" actually shows he had nothing to defend himself, so clearly the accusing party must have had better evidence than him.

There is appeals process that works - if some magistrate is supposedly corrupt that there are means to fight it - contract murders to prevent such activity is not very common in this country, if exists at all.

Frankly this discussion no longer makes sense as clearly you guys have no ability to separate systemic things and occurences that do not in whole characterise the system.

Comment

If you read Private Eye regularly this sort of thing does look pretty systemic. Check on some law websites too, the way planning applications, harrassment etc are dealt with when one of the parties involved has connections with magistrates, police or the councils involved. Ok, what people say is not always the truth, but they are probably not all false either and give grounds for concern about a frequent lack of impartiality.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            If you read Private Eye regularly this sort of thing does look pretty systemic.
            Quiet. And if you read the magazine for plumbers you might get impression that every pipe is leaking.

I am not saying it does not happen, it sure does - but the degree of that is very low, though obviously it would be better if it did not happen at all.

Comment

The courts like to be "seen to be independent", but when it comes to the crunch they are very rarely independent.

The mistake you are making is comparing it to everything in Russia where you obviously have a very biased view as to how bad the system is (that is not to say that the system is not indeed bad, I really don't know it so can't comment but your comments are very heavily biased either way).

maybe our court system is better than some other countries but you don't get anywhere in UK courts unless you know how to play the system.Generally speaking middle classed people who make one mistake will be pulled into court and made an example of. However your average chav scum who is in court every other week and is the sort of person who really needs to be locked up will get away scot free every time!

Comment

Working...
              X