• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At 40+ you are pretty much unemployable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Is that in any way true for contractors? I assume not.

It worries me when permie job ads say "senior software engineer, 5 years experience". Obviously they're expecting someone who's 26, not 36 like me.

But that's permiedom. For contractors, I don't think it matters, and the issue of younger managers doesn't matter either.
    Will someone explain to me how anyone can claim to be a "Senior Software Engineer" with only 5 years experience?

Comment

It's all about attitude.

Unfortunately the older someone is the more likely they are to have a poor attitude in my experience. Although I restrict that pretty much to permies.

I was teaching a certification bootcamp once known for being particularly difficult. Four days class then exam on the Friday.

Out of the minority who passed we had the guys with a lot of experience in it and then we had one 21 year old fresh from uni who actually bothered to out the work in. He listened attentively and read in the evening. You could see the page markers and highlighting in his manual. He just had a great attitude to do what needed to be done rather than have an easy life.

Similar thing with another guy I know in his fifties. Has a great problem solving attitude and you would never really comment on his age.

All about attitude.

Comment

My sister is pushing 70 and is always being offered bits of work, depends on your energy, ability and enthusiasm. And luck. I never suffer from enthusiasm myself but last two contracts arrived out of the blue when I could not really be arsed looking and I am over... (30).
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
          Surely the IT boom only happened in the mid 80's when PCs become readily available. Uni numbers in IT rocketed. The first main wave of grads after that would now be in their early 40's with nobody above them other than mainframe dudes. So, in 10 years time there will be lots of programmers in their 40's.
          No it didn't. Demand for IT skills was massive in the late 70s and early 80s.

The arrival of PCs dumbed down the market considerably. Every manager and business owner thought that if they could have a functioning computer on their desk, and manage to cack-handedly use a spreadsheet then all this IT nonsense couldn't be that hard.

Before the PC mentality took hold, you actually had to know what you were doing. Since then, the industry has become flooded with blaggers, shysters and 'Teach Yourself X in 24 hours' types.

Is it any wonder that large IT project overrun/under-perform/fail?

Even mainframe systems guys these days (I won't call them Sysprogs 'cause most of them are not worthy of the appellation) don't even have to know assembler or edit 'parmlib'.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
            It's all about attitude.

Unfortunately the older someone is the more likely they are to have a poor attitude in my experience. Although I restrict that pretty much to permies.

I was teaching a certification bootcamp once known for being particularly difficult. Four days class then exam on the Friday.

Out of the minority who passed we had the guys with a lot of experience in it and then we had one 21 year old fresh from uni who actually bothered to out the work in. He listened attentively and read in the evening. You could see the page markers and highlighting in his manual. He just had a great attitude to do what needed to be done rather than have an easy life.

Similar thing with another guy I know in his fifties. Has a great problem solving attitude and you would never really comment on his age.

All about attitude.

Agreed. At ClienctCo they always say they look for contractors who care.

Relative to the permies here that is not difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              No it didn't. Demand for IT skills was massive in the late 70s and early 80s.

The arrival of PCs dumbed down the market considerably. Every manager and business owner thought that if they could have a functioning computer on their desk, and manage to cack-handedly use a spreadsheet then all this IT nonsense couldn't be that hard.

Before the PC mentality took hold, you actually had to know what you were doing. Since then, the industry has become flooded with blaggers, shysters and 'Teach Yourself X in 24 hours' types.

Is it any wonder that large IT project overrun/under-perform/fail?

Even mainframe systems guys these days (I won't call them Sysprogs 'cause most of them are not worthy of the appellation) don't even have to know assembler or edit 'parmlib'.
              I worked alot of PDPs in the late 80s - and it is was full of blaggers and shysters. One BA copied out the stock exchange manual as a spec - was intolerably racist (interestingly he got on well with all English of any extraction - but he hated any immigrants from oz, nz, etcetc) to the point where , when he lost his legs in a train crash, 90% said "good". Then there were the contractors who were drunk every afternoon or spend the hours reading the paper or just mess up the systems.

I always felt I could do a better job than them and earn there money. Thank goodness that contractors are alot more professional these days.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post

LNKLST UNDEFINE NAME(LNKZZ)
                LNKLST DEFINE NAME(LNKZZ) COPYFROM(CURRENT)
                LNKLST ACTIVATE NAME(LNKZZ)
                LNKLST UPDATE JOB=*
                LNKLST UNDEFINE NAME($##$01)
                LNKLST UNDEFINE NAME(LNK01)
                LNKLST DEFINE NAME($##$01) COPYFROM(CURRENT)
                LNKLST DELETE NAME($##$01) DSN(SATEST.INSTALL.V320.A05.SINGMOD1)
                LNKLST DELETE NAME($##$01) DSN(SATEST.INSTALL.V320.A05.SINGMOD2)
                LNKLST DELETE NAME($##$01) DSN(SATEST.INSTALL.V320.A05.SINGMOD3)
                LNKLST ADD NAME($##$01) DSN(SATEST.INSTALL.V320.A05.SINGMOD1) ATTOP
                LNKLST ADD NAME($##$01) DSN(SATEST.INSTALL.V320.A05.SINGMOD2) ATTOP
                LNKLST ADD NAME($##$01) DSN(SATEST.INSTALL.V320.A05.SINGMOD3) ATTOP
                LNKLST ACTIVATE NAME($##$01)
                LNKLST UPDATE JOB=*
                LNKLST UNDEFINE NAME(LNKZZ)
                Okay for you?
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Will someone explain to me how anyone can claim to be a "Senior Software Engineer" with only 5 years experience?
                  I once had an agent tell me straight-faced that he'd put anyone with more than 6 months' experience in Siebel in as a "senior consultant".

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Okay for you?
                    I usually just ask people to tell me what IEFBR15 (sic) does.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                      I once had an agent tell me straight-faced that he'd put anyone with more than 6 months' experience in Siebel in as a "senior consultant".
                      My PG-Tips Monkey could write that crap!

Comment

Working...
                      X