• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "At 40+ you are pretty much unemployable"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    No, old dog.

XR 15,15
    BR 14

Actually IBM had to patch IEFBR14, twice!
    When I was at Ferranti they got upset because of the things I used to do to the manframe(The games I wrote only worked properly on the sysop console ) so they sat me in a corner with a PC and said "Show us what you can do with that"...

The rest as they say is history...
    (No it wasn't my fault they went bust - I left way before then!)

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Old mainframe joke. The real IEFBR14 is a null program, named after its one real instruction, BR 14 which branches back to the calling program. By convention, Register 14 is set on entry to a (sub)program to the return address. Register 15 is set to the subprogram entry point - so IEFBR15 would branch back to the start and loop forever.

I once got a job with Amdahl in California on the strength of laughing at that.
    God, how we laughed

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    I guess "IEFBR15 (sic)" must be the muffled noise a mobile phone makes when it's buried in a giant pile of mainframe assembler, and some poor sod has to roll up their sleeves and find the thing among all the carp before the dinosaur mainframe coder shows up again.
    Old mainframe joke. The real IEFBR14 is a null program, named after its one real instruction, BR 14 which branches back to the calling program. By convention, Register 14 is set on entry to a (sub)program to the return address. Register 15 is set to the subprogram entry point - so IEFBR15 would branch back to the start and loop forever.

I once got a job with Amdahl in California on the strength of laughing at that.

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    We've got a number of fit young dinosaurs working here, in fact a lot fitter than lumbering Windoze weenies...

http://znextgen.org/
    I guess "IEFBR15 (sic)" must be the muffled noise a mobile phone makes when it's buried in a giant pile of mainframe assembler, and some poor sod has to roll up their sleeves and find the thing among all the carp before the dinosaur mainframe coder shows up again.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    We've got a number of fit young dinosaurs working here, in fact a lot fitter than lumbering Windoze weenies...

Yep. Mainframe people are sexy. They're the party people, unlike the Windows and UNIX geeks who smell and can't dance.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    Groan! As soon as someone mentions mainframes, all the dinosaurs come lumbering out

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    IEFBR14
    IEFBR15 (sic)

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    mov ax,4c00
    int 21
    No, old dog.

XR 15,15
    BR 14

Actually IBM had to patch IEFBR14, twice!
    Last edited by bogeyman; 17 March 2008, 14:52. Reason: Interesting History

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    IEFBR14
    mov ax,4c00
    int 21

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I usually just ask people to tell me what IEFBR15 (sic) does.

IEFBR14

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That's cos your older than me.

When I've reached your age I will be able to spell to.

I won't have grey "highlights" though as I don't have any children or an ex-wife to stress me out.
    true - but you post here. that might well send you

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I have grey hairs, but then again I'm growing old disgracefully

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    You're

At least at my age I can spell.

And it is not grey - silver highlights.
    That's cos your older than me.

When I've reached your age I will be able to spell to.

I won't have grey "highlights" though as I don't have any children or an ex-wife to stress me out.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    That witness to the girl who was killed in India is 8 years younger than me but looks several years older. (He's supposed to be 35, but has a partly-grey beard.)

I often see people my age on TV and think - "no you aren't, you're twenty years older."

Or am I fooling myself?
    Nope.
    Some people age very badly.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Your so vain........

Mind you if I was as young as you and had grey hair I would dye it too.
    You're

At least at my age I can spell.

And it is not grey - silver highlights.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X