• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Black Monday - the beginning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techno View Post
    So should I now get some Euros for the summer holidays in Europe or wait.....?
    If you've got the means to gain interest on it before you spend it then probably yes. If not, no.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Moscow,

'Quote:
      Originally Posted by techno

If you've got the means to gain interest on it before you spend it then probably yes. If not, no. ',

you therefore believe that todays exchange rate of:

1Euro = 77.5GBP

will not change, or if it does the GBP will strengthen ?

That is what you are saying is it now ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        Moscow,

'Quote:
        Originally Posted by techno

If you've got the means to gain interest on it before you spend it then probably yes. If not, no. ',

you therefore believe that todays exchange rate of:

1Euro = 77.5GBP

will not change, or if it does the GBP will strengthen ?

That is what you are saying is it now ?

Milan.
        No not my point at all. You need to work out how much interest you'll get before you need to spend the money (either in GBP or EUR). If you're converting to EUR as a holidaymaker, I'd suggest you'll be making zero interest on your EUR in that time.

You need to work out what your GBP will be worth in 6 months (or whenever) if you leave it in your account and what the interest rate will be when you exchange it.

MY OPINION is that the amount of interest made in that time will be more than the gains you would make by converting now.

As I said, I haven't done the sums (nor could I without much more data).
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          As I said, I haven't done the sums (nor could I without much more data).
          All you really need though is GBP/EUR spot fx rate, forward fx rate, GBP interest rate, EUR fx rate. Of course those 4 should be linked...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            All you really need though is GBP/EUR spot fx rate, forward fx rate, GBP interest rate, EUR fx rate. Of course those 4 should be linked...
            You also need to know how much you're intending to spend on holiday.

For a fortnight in Monte Carlo, it might be significant. For a week on the Costas, probably not.

Comment

Working...
            X