• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Black Monday - the beginning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for those of us who don't follow the finanicial world as closely as some of you; would this be a good day for me to transfer money from my Sterling bank account to my euro one? Or should I wait?
    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      look at the AU go !!

I just read that JP Morgan bought bear stearns for 115m GBP

classic

also, was reading at the weekend that some mega investor bought 10% of bear steans last september

As of friday he was down 800m U$ !!!

Milan.
      Talk sport listener?

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
        A question for those of us who don't follow the finanicial world as closely as some of you; would this be a good day for me to transfer money from my Sterling bank account to my euro one? Or should I wait?
        It depends on how you view the GBP position against EUR. If you need the money in EUR now, I'd do it now.

If you need the money in EUR withing the next 0-12 months, I'd do it now.

If you're speculating you can make your own decisions
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

eh ?

Milan.

Comment

First the good news:

Due to the pound's performance over the past month or so, my portfolio (in GBP terms) has gone up > 50k

Bad news (for you GBP-based contractors):

Get used to holidaying in Skegness

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              It depends on how you view the GBP position against EUR. If you need the money in EUR now, I'd do it now.

If you need the money in EUR withing the next 0-12 months, I'd do it now.

If you're speculating you can make your own decisions
              You mean soft arbitrage rather than hard arbitrage?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                You mean soft arbitrage rather than hard arbitrage?
                I'm unsure of the exact terms. My point is;

It's worth taking the lower EUR rate of interest if you think you'll need the EUR (to pay for something) in the next 0-12 months as the GBP-EUR rate will get worse over that period, making the extra GBP you make not worth it.

If you don't need to spend EUR over that timeframe, keep it in GBP as it'll sort itself out over the longer timeframe.

All IMO, IANAIFA, I have not done the exact sums involved etc etc.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

'it in GBP as it'll sort itself out over the longer timeframe'

you reckon, rather you than me !

still I guess someone has to hold them (£)

Milan.

Comment

... holiday cash

So should I now get some Euros for the summer holidays in Europe or wait.....?

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      'it in GBP as it'll sort itself out over the longer timeframe'

you reckon, rather you than me !

still I guess someone has to hold them (£)

Milan.
                      All my bills are in GBP - the only reason for me to hold EUR is speculation. In which case, I'll have a spread bet.

Comment

Working...
                      X